Sick to death over my izusu trooper egr valve & check engine light

Old 09-15-11, 10:15 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sick to death over my izusu trooper egr valve & check engine light

Just bought a new egr valve from auto zone and my mechanically inclined husband put it on and the check engine light is still on!!!

What's the deal here? We already tried cleaning it first, several times. Finally bought a new one and it still isn't working. Can't get my past due inspection sticker because of the new emissions law - THANKS OBAMA - and am wondering what the hell we're supposed to do now!

Anyone know anything about this and how to successfully fix this??

Thanks for help!!

Old 09-15-11, 10:24 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Basic question, I know, but what does the code in the computer say?

Old 09-15-11, 10:32 AM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the problem was the EGR, the check light would not immediately go out on it's own after replacement. Sometimes the fault codes need to be removed by a scanner, but also they are reset after a certain number of starts and warm ups. If you did solve the real issue for the fault codes being the EGR you may see the light go out in the next 2 or 3 days of driving.

Old 09-15-11, 10:42 AM
E
Further to the comments made by DianaTX, does anyone know if there are new emission rules around yearly inspections mandated by Washington? I thought they were all state controlled and managed within each county for those states that even require them along with yearly safety checks. That at least has been my experience in Texas.

Old 09-15-11, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
does anyone know if there are new emission rules around yearly inspections mandated by Washington?
Not that I'm the expert but I'm pretty sure they are state requirements, not country.
In PA, we've had that emissions testing ever since I can remember, but only after so many miles of driving and some other "only ifs". Seems like forever, and certainly a lot longer than Obama.

Old 09-15-11, 12:59 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
In Ohio, the state mandates the emission inspections on a county by county basis. We were required to get annual inspections in my county for a number of years. We finally got "green" enough for the state and they dropped our inspection several years ago.

Old 09-15-11, 01:07 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Inspections disappeared in MN a number of years ago as well, I am not aware of any such process dictated from the federal level.

Old 09-15-11, 01:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
"If you did solve the real issue for the fault codes being the EGR you may see the light go out in the next 2 or 3 days of driving"

Doesn't disconnecting the battery and then hooking it back up also reset the codes/light ??

Autozone will both read codes and turn off the light for free! If the problem hasn't been fixed - the light will come back on shortly.

Old 09-15-11, 01:58 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
nice political discussion, but Diana, why exactly did you folks decide that EGR was causing CEL?

Old 09-15-11, 02:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Not a Washington issue, but probably only because the Feds haven't figured out how to make money out of it. We have no emission testing.

Old 09-15-11, 02:01 PM
E
I think that the battery disconnect is not the recommended way. Using the scanner is, and as was said AZ will do it for free anyway, but also being patient if you are confident you have corrected the problem, and just driving a few start/warmup cycles will work unless you are in a hurry to pass your emission test. Disconnecting the battery often means not only losing minor things like radio presets and clock time, but this procedure also requires draining the power out of the power control module electrical storage capacitor to reset the fault code. Doing this also drains the memory from the computer and it can take a few days after for the engine management system (PCM)to re-teach itself. What that means is that by losing the CEL light through a battery disconnect you can end up with a possible rough idle for a few days.

Old 09-15-11, 02:04 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
oh, simply pull the computer fuse out for about 15 minutes...

Old 09-15-11, 03:56 PM
F
By the way, don't bother trying to fool the inspection station by disconnecting the battery or using any other method to erase the trouble code and turn off the "check engine" light. Your vehicle's computer will let the inspection station know that its codes have been erased, and you'll just have to go back again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: