Repainting Window Frames on Doors

Old 09-18-11, 01:34 PM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Repainting Window Frames on Doors

The window frames of my 1993 Buick were originally low-gloss black. Over the years a lot of that paint has chipped away and the metal is just now beginning to rust. The War Dept. wants me to try to refinish the frames.

I'm going to sand/mask/prime, but am not sure what kind of paint to use. I don't have much faith in those little stick paints found in the auto stores and I was wondering if there is a better type of paint to use?

Old 09-18-11, 02:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
If you sand to bare metal you should use a primer first. I'd then wet sand the primer and use a quality auto paint in a spray can. I more or less did the same thing on a ford my son used to own ........ it looked good at first but I used a cheap spray paint and it faded within a few months

Old 09-18-11, 04:12 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
if I am thinking of the same pieces, can't you remove them? Aren't those just decorative moldings? once removed, it is much much easier to handle any paint job on them. Sending, degreasing, priming, painting, all much easier than on car.
engine enamels and brake paints are about the most durable ones. You'll need matte one, for low gloss. Powder coating is very durable.

Old 10-04-11, 11:00 PM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
If you sand to bare metal you should use a primer first. I'd then wet sand the primer and use a quality auto paint in a spray can. I more or less did the same thing on a ford my son used to own ........ it looked good at first but I used a cheap spray paint and it faded within a few months
What brand paint did you use?

Old 10-05-11, 04:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
I don't remember the brand but it was one of those cheap rattle cans for $1.50 or less. I would think if you bought one of the higher priced automotive paints it would look good for longer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: