99 Ford Tarus-Loud power steering pump

Old 09-21-11, 07:03 AM
99 Ford Tarus-Loud power steering pump

Is there an additive or a special fluid that would take care of it without replacing the pump?

Already checked belt, fluid, - ok

Power steering works good but loud pump

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-11, 07:31 AM
I normally don't recommend a "snake oil" but, from my experience, Lucas doesn't sell one. It would certinally be worth the small cost to remove some of your fluid and add LUCAS power steering conditioner and stop leak. It is advertised to stop leakage in power steering rack and pinion, but I have had success with other issues as well with this product.
Originally Posted by Johnjoe View Post
Is there an additive or a special fluid that would take care of it without replacing the pump?

Already checked belt, fluid, - ok

Power steering works good but loud pump

Old 09-21-11, 07:47 AM
Thank you - will try LUCAS

Old 09-21-11, 11:15 AM
yes, second on Lucas. It's strong medicine. But if bearing is worn out, nothing's gonna fix that. SPs are not that bad to replace though, depends on engine layout. And you do not really have much to do in terms of bleeding it after done.

Old 09-21-11, 04:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife has an 03 merc with a loud steering pump The factory pump was quiet but it was leaking so I replaced it in the middle of the winter - leak fixed but noisy pump! When the weather got warm I replaced the pump under warranty and used the lucas additive - it's still noisy but maybe not as much as before. The was a slight 'catch' in her rack and pinion and it did seem to make that go away

The pump works fine, just noisy my wife doesn't seem to mine [she turns the radio up too loud] I don't drive her car often and I'm tired of fooling with it Let us know how it works for you.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 09-24-11, 06:37 PM
Before you spend too much time and money on a noisy power steering pump, check your belt tensioner. A bad bearing on a tensioner mimics a power steering pump noise, but is a lot cheaper to fix.