2005 Murano power drain

Old 09-23-11, 11:26 AM
2005 Murano power drain

My wife got stuck yesterday and call me to say the car wouldn't start, i ran over with my truck to check and figured it was the battery.
anyway i tried to give her a jump and it still wouldn't start.
i put in a new battery this morning cause with the old battery the car wouldn't start at all and the dashboard lights flickered when i tried to start it.
any with the new battery in the car started right away.
i figured i better do a alternator check and that came back at 14.5 volts.
next i disconnected the Neg cable from the battery and did a inline check with a meter, and that is reading almost 12 volts.
it that possible, or is there a major short somewhere?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-11, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Not sure what you mean by an inline check? Between the neg post and the neg terminal? That should give no reading at all...and would normally blow a meter fuse (I think?). Did your meter maybe auto switch to amps somehow?

btw...I've seen posted here that you should never disconnect cables from newer cars while the engine is running. Something about the battery keeping the load constant to prevent damage to the vehicle electronics. Not like the old days when you could drive all day w/o a battery once the engine was started.

Old 09-23-11, 12:06 PM
yes, between the neg post and neg terminal after i disconnected them ? at first on the meter i had it set at 20 amps and it showed 12.6 amps and figured i better not lower the meter to milliamps if i'm getting a reading that high.

Old 09-23-11, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Ahh...I thought you meant amps. Not volts like you said in the first post. If the engine was running...then that seems perfectly feasible. If the engine was off...then yes, you have an issue somewhere, unless the headlamps were on or you had the radio playing and doors open. Normal engine off, everything turned off, current should be less than 1/2 amp....quite a bit less I think. Isolate it by pulling fuses til the amps drop to almost 0.

Old 09-23-11, 12:31 PM
nothing was on, i had the key out of the ignition, plus i also pulled each fuse and the power draw stayed the same. i did have the door open when i was pulling fuses but i had the dome lights turn off when i did.

Old 09-23-11, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Well...No expert...but if you were really pulling 12 amps...a new battery would only last a short time til it was dead. I know it's darn near impossible to trace all the cables...but maybe you have something worn through somewhere? But it's either fused big enough to not blow...or not fused at all?

Did you pull all the fuses and breakers under the hood as well? I know my 2001 SUV has one box inside and one under the hood. I think my 2004 sedan has 3! There must be a main battery breaker?? Labeled like 100A?

Last thing.....if your meter has an autorange (don't think thats common) maybe it was actually reading .12 A? That would prob be about right for normal draw.

Old 09-23-11, 09:39 PM
I am not sure what end loads would add up to 140 watts of consumption that you are mentioning, or thinking is happening but with all new cars there is anyway a constant drain on the battery. Security systems, and onboard computers draw enough to turn a fully charged good battery flat after just 6 weeks, or even less depending on air temperature. After 6 years your other battery was done most likely and unless there are unknown parasitic battery drain issues, and your battery is holding it's charge on a day to day basis everything is fine. That's my opinion at this point.

Search this Thread