Windshield Leak

Old 09-29-11, 07:58 AM
Windshield Leak

My wife's '93 S-10 Blazer has developed a leak in the upper left corner right at the edge of the windshield. There appears to be no physical damage or change in appearance to the gasket or the body in this area. I'm guessing perhaps the gasket between the body & windshield degrades over time? She had a headliner installed several months ago, I suppose they might have nicked the gasket or flexed it slightly changing the alignment. I was thinking those were glued in place with silicone seal. We're thinking about just having the windshield replaced so that with a new gasket might solve the problem. The vehicle has no visible rust or imperfections that would lead me to believe it would cause a leak. Just throwing this out there for your comments........

Thanks

TexasFire

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-11, 04:22 PM
Anything is possible but can you also confirm that you have checked to ensure that all or any body sealer from the factory has not developed a crack or come off. I am thinking about roof rain gutters for instance as a start point.

Old 09-30-11, 08:04 AM
Im no body man but I beleive windshields set on a bed of sealer. I would have a glass shop take a look at it.

Old 09-30-11, 02:24 PM
Thanks everyone.... I think we've pretty much decided that we're going to have the windshield replaced. Hopefully that will solve the problem!

TexasFire

Old 10-02-11, 08:30 AM
I believe windshields are held in with a bead of Urethane caulking. Quite often a simple bit of same applied to suspect area will cure the problem, and most insurance companies will gladly pay for it, without deductible charge, rather than a complete replacement. Also confirms where leak is, just in case it's a small leak somehow getting in behind from roof.

Old 10-02-11, 09:21 AM
Why would you replace the windhield if it isn't cracked or broken? With the price of a new windshield, it makes no sense to me. If it is damaged, you can probably solve the leak as it is replaced, but if it isn't damaged, and you didn't say that it was, why replace it when it could be removed and reinstalled with new sealant?

Old 11-11-11, 08:29 AM
We had a windshield company come out to replace the widshield when they sprung this on us.... If they pull the windshield & there is rust in the seal area, that would prevent the new windshield from sealing, so they won't install the windshield leaving you stuck without a windshield in your car. This was from SafeLight (company policy). The installer advised going to a local body shop for the work, they can fix the problem while the windshield is out. Currently shopping local body shops to see what we can find out...

TexasFire