Antifreeze

Old 09-29-11, 08:54 AM
Antifreeze

I was in a store yesterday, to purchase antifreeze for my car. They had Two namebrand and two store brand products available.
DILUTED 50/50 mix for store brand was app. $8.00 and the full strength, name brand was app. $11.00
Personally--I have no problem mixing and have done so for years by adding distilled water or water from my dehumidifier.
Have people gotten that lazy and insecure that they can't mix a product 50/50
I guess it is more convenient to be able to just pour from a container
In today's world, I have to watch every penny

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-11, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Yes...people have gotten that lazy and insecure...lol. One thing to consider...I believe the premix is made with distilled water. Few people will bother to (or even know they should) buy several gallons of distilled to mix with each gallon of full strength antifreeze.

Old 09-29-11, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
There was an experiment in my house several years ago using water from the dehumidifier in the clothes iron and it did not work - I would not use this water in place of distilled as it picks up contaminants on the way to the bucket.

Old 09-29-11, 09:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I always thought the premixed anti-freeze was just a way for the marketer to get more money from the consumer. I could see buying it if you had bad water but I've always just mixed in tap water and have never had any issues

Old 09-29-11, 10:34 AM
I have, for many years, used dehumidifier water for clothes iron and many other applications. I have never had a problem. I know many people that just use city water and they have had no problems with cooling system.
I know many will disagree, but I never use Prestone antifreeze in a vehicle. I am sure their problem is corrected today, but a few years ago, I was advised by two different radiator shops, to not use Prestone because it would cause the "white coating" in the cooling system. I saw that he sold Prestone along with other brands and asked why. He just laughed and said "some people demand Prestone" I never used it again and have never seen the duild up in my cooling system.
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
There was an experiment in my house several years ago using water from the dehumidifier in the clothes iron and it did not work - I would not use this water in place of distilled as it picks up contaminants on the way to the bucket.

Old 09-29-11, 02:38 PM
Group Moderator
I think Mark is right on the.....mark . As far as I know it is a marketing ploy. The average shmuck looks at two jugs of antifreeze; one is $11 and the other one is $8. Guess what the average consumer grabs?

Old 09-29-11, 03:22 PM
Annnnnnd---If it works out real good for the manufacturers of antifreeze concentrate---Guess What---Diluted will be all that is available and it will be $11 or more per gallon
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
I think Mark is right on the.....mark . As far as I know it is a marketing ploy. The average shmuck looks at two jugs of antifreeze; one is $11 and the other one is $8. Guess what the average consumer grabs?

Old 09-30-11, 04:44 AM
Group Moderator
I've been trying to come up with a marketing ploy like that for towing rates so I can charge 50% more for the same service.

Old 10-08-11, 02:09 PM
I just get the cheapest brand available. Even if it's a no name brand. I've never had problems with cooling. I flush my radiator regularly anyways. You can sometimes get 50/50 mix cheap if they're offering rebate coupons.

Old 10-08-11, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by bluesbreaker View Post
I just get the cheapest brand available. Even if it's a no name brand. I've never had problems with cooling. I flush my radiator regularly anyways. You can sometimes get 50/50 mix cheap if they're offering rebate coupons.
Just be sure if it is a Prestone Rebate, that you have EVERYTHING they ask for. Then hope you get it
I do not like any type rebate, although I have received some, there has been many times that I didn't.
Most people forget and let it run out---that"s what the company wants.
Why can't they just lower the price--at least temporarly
Just last year, I had to contact the BBB and file a complaint against AT&T for not honoring a $50.00 rebate
They were glad to send my rebate after my complaint and I just applied it to my bill

Old 10-13-11, 02:02 PM
Antifreeze...

I gotta tell you, for the last 50 years I have been using full strength name brand, or no brand antifreeze (actually whichever is cheaper), with tap water. Never had a problem (ND,CA,OR). Flush it out at home in the fall before you winterize and go 50/50 (in most locales) and you will have no problems. I'm a former auto parts store owner and was in the business for 30 years. It's amazing how many people fall victim to the advertising hype. All you gotta do is educate yourself, just a little bit, and then decide. I don't know it all, but this is my personal experience.

Old 10-13-11, 03:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I guess I'm getting soft in my old age, but we use Sierra propylene glycol in the cars. I don't want to see any of my critters go through the horrible death should they get to a leaky radiator site. Not too easy to find at Wally World, or bigger auto parts stores. Only a few carry it.

Old 10-30-11, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Yes...people have gotten that lazy and insecure...lol. One thing to consider...I believe the premix is made with distilled water. Few people will bother to (or even know they should) buy several gallons of distilled to mix with each gallon of full strength antifreeze.
Several gallons to mix with one gallon of full strength antifreeze? It should be mixed in at least a 50/50 mix which means one gallon of water and one gallon of antifreeze. This mix will usually give you the protection that the manufacturers require. I often use a little stronger of a mixture at a 60/40 ratio (antifreeze/distilled water).

Old 10-30-11, 03:50 PM
The HOAT coolant required for the aluminum engines in both of my cars run $15 at the cheapest for the full concentrate stuff, I sure am not going to give Zerex, Mopar, or Motorcraft an extra $3 to mix distilled water for me.....not for flushes anyway. If for any reason I need top off fluid I will poke out the extra for the premix because 2 gallons will never be used for a simple top off, even if both trucks need it and it will be used in a company truck or go to waste anyway.

Old 10-30-11, 04:03 PM
I am not aware of a "shelf life" for concentrate. I will mix the amount I need and save the rest for later.

Old 10-30-11, 06:37 PM
i usually always go with the name brand with car related issues. i always have bad luck with store brand.

Old 10-31-11, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
I am not aware of a "shelf life" for concentrate. I will mix the amount I need and save the rest for later.
You likely have a place to store it until you need it next. I dont have a shed or anywhere else to store things like that that isnt kid friendly besides the cover bed of my truck, where it tends to bounce around or get squished until it finally busts and wastes all over.

Search this Thread