Acelerator sticks on my chevy Impala

Old 10-03-11, 07:18 AM
Acelerator sticks on my chevy Impala

I have a 2002 Chevy Impala and the accelerator sticks especially when it's cold in the AM. Could the throttle body be just dirty? or do I need to replace the whole throttle body. Thanx in advance, for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-11, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Probably just a cleaning...you should be able to look inside and see if there is any buildup.
Make sure it's not in the cable or linkage where the actual problem is.

I payed for a cleaning after that was the diagnosis of the hesitation on my Tribute....turned out the throttle cable had frayed right at the end of the sheath.

Old 10-03-11, 07:44 AM
Accelerator sticks

Thanx, Gunguy, I appreciate it. The cable looks good and I've been spraying it with white grease,etc.I'll try the cleaning trick first and I guess the worst case scenario is I'll have to replace the whole thing.

Old 10-03-11, 05:00 PM
it's no trick. had same issue on GM truck and Ford Ranger. never on imports.

remove air intake hose off throttle body. spray some brake cleaner all over the pintle valve, pop it open, clean everything with a rag, spray again inside with valve open, clean. you will need an old toothbrush to clean upper portion of throttle body. do your best to remove any tar buildup on pintle valve edge.

let it sit for about 20 minutes thereafter, so that stuff evaporates. clamp hose back on. works like a champ.

Old 10-04-11, 07:05 AM
It works.

Thanx, Guys did the cleanup on the throttle plates and it works like it should.Much appreciated.

Old 10-08-11, 08:18 AM
so, I have a question that been bugging me for years now.

I have to do this cleaning at least once a year on my Silverado. I had to do it same or more often, on my now sold Ford Ranger.

Both engines run like a champ and do not backfire.

I use only quality gas and prime fuel systems with Seafoam yearly.

I have NEVER EVER had to do this cleaning on imports we owned or own. NEVER.

1. How in the world that tar residue builds up on throttle and pintle valve?

2. why it does only on domestics and not on imports? At least, ones we owned and own. What amounts to about 20 cars in the USA since 1993.

Old 10-08-11, 01:29 PM
Group Moderator
That is a mystery since theoretically the only thing flowing past the plate is relatively clean air. My guess would be lingering vapors going upstream after the engine is shut off.

Old 10-08-11, 05:58 PM
I mean - I get it if engine backfires. But if they don't - where does the tar, and I mean - TAR - come from?

Actually, here's a wild guess. EGR system. Doesn't it feed some gas WITH EXHAUST back into cc-s for recycling? And if it's introduced BEFORE pintle valve, there you go.

Old 10-08-11, 06:59 PM
Ukrbyk,, You hit the nail on the head,, Study the layout of the EGR systems of the effected engines & I think you'll find the answer. Also cam profile & timing on the new variable cam engines can also affect it... Roger