2007 Corolla

Old 10-04-11, 08:08 AM
2007 Corolla

Hello
I know the pads need replacing but the rear shoes are ok.
Car has 40k but I don't think rotors need replacing just resurfaced.
Which is the best way to go?
Get a written estimate of "out the door" like, what to do and for how much?
Should I get the fluid changed?

Sears
Meinike
Midas
dealer
service station
About how much an axle if no rotors/calipers or shoes/drums replaced?
Thank you from the little old lady

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-11, 04:13 PM
My guess is the prices can range from $40 to $100 per front wheel for basic re-surface rotors and new pads depending on where, what pads are used, and what else is found or not found to be addressed. Lots of debate around replacing brake fluid, and whether it is even suggested by manufacturers as a maintenance requirement and whether as a sealed system moisture can enter or not into it and how to properly evaluate it beyond questionable clear verses colored visual checks. I do it every 3-4 years and will continue doing that until more industry validated information becomes available that confirms I don't need to. At the moment most of the infomation seems to be coming from people who benefit from replacement.

Old 10-05-11, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Peter, are you sure the pads need replacing? 40,000 miles is not a lot of miles on the factory Toyota pads. A lot of hills in your neck of the woods? That would wear them out faster. Also not likely to be significant problems with the rotors, although most garages will turn them as part of the job.

I'm partial to good independent garages vice chain/franchise/dealership/big name places. How about you, 'nox?

Old 10-05-11, 08:08 PM
I go along with you TG in regards to good independent shops. The problem some drivers have is that the big name and even new name franchises are coming around with very low 'come on' pricing that the independents simply can't compete with on price, and too many drivers decide only on price these days. What is true also is that both the lowest range and highest price range on repairs such as brake work comes from both ends of the franchise businesses. So called 'brake only' shops on one end and dealerships on the other high end. The independent shops usually fall in the middle range on price but in the highest range on service, quality, and customer care hence my opinon is shared with TG's.

Old 10-17-11, 01:46 PM
Corolla

I thought it was fair to let the forum know what the results were b/c they all helped.
We do a lot of stop and go so the pads needed replacing.
Sears was $650, Midas was $900, another service place was $550.
I went to Meineke and they resurfaced, replaced fluid and put ceramics all the way, adjusted the emergency brake around for $ $414.
I'm glad I called around before I had the job done.
I could not believe [email protected] 1K.
Thank you all.

Old 10-17-11, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Peter....
Just to clarify...did they replace both front and rear? Also, wonder if they replaced the hardware on the drum brakes?

For reference...I had the front rotors and pads replaced at a local shop for $240, parts about $140. They also adjusted the rears, but no repair work. Drums always cost more than disks.

It was kind of a short fuse thing, had family coming in and we were going to be driving to Vegas and the Grand Canyon with full loads. No way I had time. Stopped in on Thur afternoon, they took me next morning and had it back in 2 hrs. I really hate the fact they closed and moved 15 miles away.

Old 10-18-11, 04:28 AM
Group Moderator
Wow. For $900 I could do a complete brake job including replace all your brake lines and probably throw in an oil change.