95 Camry Wagon Driver Side Drive Shaft/Oil Seal Installation

Old 10-09-11, 06:03 PM
95 Camry Wagon Driver Side Drive Shaft/Oil Seal Installation

95 Camry Wagon, 4.0 Cyl, 2.2L. I was able to get the old driver side shaft out by rotating the shaft until the spring clip lined up and then by slight prying. Are there any thoughts on how to get the new shaft/spring clip to snap in to place?
In the process of attempting to get the new shaft seated, I compromised the transaxle oil seal by causing the circular spring within the seal to pop off. I bought a new seal, which is an extremely tight fit. Any thoughts on how to get the oil seal seated properly and do you seat it until it can travel no further?

Last edited by bobioni; 10-09-11 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Forgotten Information
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-11, 06:43 PM
1. on item one.... he-he, there's no easy recipe. but let me tell you how I always pop driveaxles out. I stick chisel between differential and driveaxle hub, and give chisel a whack. usually, that pops drive axle out in a heartbeat. getting it back in, crucial is to have it lined straight with the splines, and then just punch it in. If you have it even slightly crucked, it'll bind.

2. mallet seal in. go in gentle circular strokes. it's more tapping, than beating. Composite mallets work very well.

Old 10-12-11, 08:13 AM
95 Camry Wagon Passenger Side Drive Shaft

Ukrbyk:
Thanks for your advice on both counts. The driver side shaft went in easier than I anticipated. Once the splines were aligned and the spring clip's open end was at the 6 o'clock position, a rap with the heel of my palm to the outer spindle end easily seated the shaft.

Today's task is replacing the passenger side shaft, which passes through a motor mount housing. Almost everything I've read to date describes the difficulty getting the shaft out of the housing (rust,frozen). Can you offer any advice should I run into this issue?

Old 10-12-11, 07:06 PM
here's honest to god suggestion: buy Chilton. Not Hynes, Chilton has better pics. Invaluable. You may end up jacking engine up via oil pan/piece of plywood to protect. so that you can remove the mount if so needed.
Worst driveaxle (it's driveaxle, or half shaft; driveshaft connects engine to rear differential) removal I ever had was on 94 Corolla. center nut was stuck beyond anything. I simply dis-assembled entire hub and removed it with driveaxle. Busted seal, like you did, replacing clutch in it.
anyhow, back to your question. buy repair manual. from that on, play it by ear. jakstand underneath engine does miracles, along with strategically loosened mounts here and there. you might just get enough clearance for it to come out. or it might be "just enough" as is.
chisel trick works very very well. sometimes, on longer shafts, I go little bit higher up between driveaxle hub and transmission. or, you can use flat prybar, works as well.

Old 10-12-11, 07:18 PM
this is just for my information, as I started looking it up for you on Autozone, and they do call it driveshaft.

An axle that is driven by the engine is called a drive axle.

Modern front wheel drive cars typically combine the transmission and front axle into a single unit called a transaxle. The drive axle is a split axle with a differential and universal joints between the two half axles. Each half axle connects to the wheel by use of a constant velocity (CV) joint which allows the wheel assembly to move freely vertically as well as to pivot when making turns.

In rear wheel drive cars and trucks, the engine turns a driveshaft which transmits rotational force to a drive axle at the rear of the vehicle. The drive axle may be a live axle, but modern automobiles generally use a split axle with a differential.

Some simple vehicle designs, such as leasure go-karts, may have a single driven wheel where the drive axle is a split axle with only one of the two shafts driven by the engine, or else have both wheels connected to one shaft without a differential (kart racing).

Old 10-18-11, 12:32 PM
95 Camry Wagon Passenger Side Drive Shaft

While under the vehicle, I'm considering motor mount replacement(s). I know I have at least one bad one. I've seen pictures of them of various shapes & sizes but how many motor/transmission mounts does the 95 Camry Wagon, 4CYL, 2.2L have?