Hood latch

Old 10-10-11, 09:25 PM
Hood latch

I have a 2002 blazer, and lately it takes two people to open the hood. One to pull the latch lever, and one to push down on the hood. Can this be fixed, or do I have to replace the hood latch, cable or both.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-11, 04:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You should be able to adjust the latch to lessen the tension on the hook. Note there are bolts on the latch assembly. Try loosening them and moving the assembly up maybe 1/4" and tightening them down. You may have to try different locations. Also, spray the assembly's working parts with either a dry lube or with white lithium lube.

Old 10-11-11, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
You should be able to adjust the latch to lessen the tension on the hook. Note there are bolts on the latch assembly. Try loosening them and moving the assembly up maybe 1/4" and tightening them down. You may have to try different locations. Also, spray the assembly's working parts with either a dry lube or with white lithium lube.
Chandler I looked at doing that, then the hood wouldn't line up with the fenders. I did try the white lube, but it didn't last very long.

Old 10-11-11, 06:33 PM
I've had real good success with Tri-Flow, it has teflon in it. I thought it was a bit spendy for a 6 oz can but it does work good.

Old 10-11-11, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
I've had real good success with Tri-Flow, it has teflon in it. I thought it was a bit spendy for a 6 oz can but it does work good.
Ok, what is that like. I have tried WD-40, white spray grease, and some kind of silicon spray. I don't open the hood all that often, but they all last about a month or so.

Old 10-11-11, 08:33 PM
Go to the sporting goods section of your Wal Mart and get Rem Oil it has teflon in it and is much cheaper. Comes in a spray can.

Old 10-12-11, 03:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How stiff is the mechanism to move without the hood closed? If it is free moving, then you have an alignment problem. If it is stiff, then working on getting it freed up will be the key. WD40 is a water displacement product, not so much a lubricant. The sprays mentioned with teflon will last much longer.

Old 10-12-11, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
How stiff is the mechanism to move without the hood closed? If it is free moving, then you have an alignment problem. If it is stiff, then working on getting it freed up will be the key. WD40 is a water displacement product, not so much a lubricant. The sprays mentioned with teflon will last much longer.
Chandler, it isn't stiff at all. But with the hood open, it will only move about half way. The hook that holds the hood down, is open and no room for any thing to move. Should I stick something in the hook to latch it, and see how free it is.

Old 10-12-11, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Sounds like you may have a cable issue or possibly the release inside the cab. Push the latch by hand or with a tool and see if there is resistance. If so, I'd disconnect the cable and see if it's the latch mechanism or the cable.

Search this Thread