79 MGB Project Car

Old 10-12-11, 06:41 PM
79 MGB Project Car

I just purchased my own project car and would like some input. I have worked on Chevy's with my ex and have a sense of cars, however is there much difference when it comes to foreign outside of metric? I would appreciate any input you can offer. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-11, 10:51 AM
I have owned many british sprots cars and will be the first to tell you, they are fun
Nothing I have ever driven handles like these cars.
On the down side, they all leak oil, by design, and this has to be tolerated
It is basically the same as working on any other car but they require "tinkering"
I have never heard of a person driving an old british sports car, thousands of miles without having to "tinker", mostly small things like electrical issues.
I currently own a 1976 MGB Roadster, but it is basically new---9,300 actual miles, bought by my late brother
I also belong to a small British Car Club and we all help each other with our cars
I might add that parts are still readly available through many web sites and eBay.
One more warning--Be prepared for a lit of looks and questions from straingers about these cars

Old 10-13-11, 12:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I, too rebuilt British sports cars years ago. Mine were the TR-6 line. I still have my carb matching tools for the Stromberg CDSE's. They are a blast to work on, you must have a ready outlet for parts with reasonable prices (I was lucky as we had a British only parts yard in Atlanta). You'll hear stories of Lucas electrical parts, and they are all true. My last one was a 73 with a 2 year body on restoration. Shot with blue metallic Imron. What a beauty. Paid $1000 for it, restored it and sat on it a while, until a guy came up and offered me too much money for it.
As far as MG's, I believe they will always hold their money. A friend sold one years ago (53 MG-TD) unrestored, as is for $10k. Sure it was drug laundering money, but he didn't know it at the time. On the tax records it shows it worth $100, when it really was worth much more.
Good luck with your restoration, and fire away with the questions. If Giles and I can't answer them, there's "bonnet" thumpers here that can. Oh yeah, you have to get used to new terminology, also. The glove box is a "cubby", the hood is a "bonnet", just a few fun things.

Old 10-13-11, 12:18 PM
And tires are tyres, and muffers are silencers. A boot is where you keep your spare parts and tools for when you break down after the roads get 'chockerblocked' with 'tail backs'. MG's are fun in any language.

Old 10-13-11, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
And the engine is under the bonnet. First car was a '66 Austin-Healey Sprite Mk III.

Old 10-13-11, 06:27 PM
You'll hear stories of Lucas electrical parts, and they are all true.
The same goes for wiring harnesses.

Old 10-13-11, 09:17 PM
Thanks for that info. Great to know there's a source here!!! This car has been sitting for seven years, so it's a mess to say the least. I do have a Haynes manual and as checking it out. All I can say it weird. Nothing like a Chevy!!!!

Old 10-15-11, 08:26 PM
Okay, here's a question. Where can I find a complete layout of the engine compartment? There is one listed, however it only pertains to the fuel, etc system. It shows other items, yet no descriptions. Any ideas? My Dad keeps asking me about this and that, to which I say, I don't know. If it was a Chevy I could tell you, but it's British and I am bloody clueless.

Old 10-15-11, 09:22 PM
Here are two links for you to check out. I have not been active on either one lately, but have got a lot of information in the past.

MGB & GT Forum > MG Experience Forums
Chicagoland MG Club:Tech Tips

Hope this works and I have a few more.
Would some photos of my 1976 be helpful?

Old 10-15-11, 10:09 PM
Giles, thanks for the links. It's not an issue of seeing the vehicle, it's knowing what something is that's not listed. If I come up empty, maybe I send the layout and you can tell me what it is? I will try to figure it out first and then I'll holler for help. Thanks for everything.

Old 10-16-11, 07:34 PM
Wow .. a flashback ..
I owned a '71 MGB-GT.. what a blast of a car.. but- being a Brit car, it had its issues with rain etal..and the dual-Webber Carbs were fabulous. Hated the twin 6V batteries under the 'bump seat' (if you want to call it that...) Ugh...!!
It was a fun car for sure...!! Wish I kept it...but that was many moons ago...!
Good luck on the restoration...!

Old 10-16-11, 09:37 PM
Jatco, I was a little bummed that my is a single carb and only a 4 cylinder. It does have a 12v instead of two 6's. I have a hard top and a vinyl top both. It's been out in the weather for a long time and doesn't seem to have any interior leaks, thank goodness! What were your major rain issues. I am really looking forward to getting the engine out, and power washing the heck out of the engine compartment and under carriage. I have cancer below the door panels that will need cutting and replacing. Not looking forward to that, because I've never done it before and sure don't want to try without a Vet. body guy. At least it has all its' metal trim! I took pics today so I can see my progress, which will be slow until I get settled back home. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Old 10-16-11, 10:02 PM
Could you post some photos?
As I stated earlier, my 1976 has 9,300 miles and is 100% original with the exception of tires (tyres) and at 1,200 miles my brother and I stripped all the pollution control and changed to dual carburetors.
I had to rebuild all brake system rubber parts and clean the entire fuel system because it set in a garage for 17 years, and I also had to change the water pump.
I spent more time making it "show car new" then the actual repair work
It is basically a "new" 1976 with factory overdrive and true spoke wheels.
The reason the car set so long and has low mileage is because my brother didn't really like it but didn't want to get rid of it

Old 10-16-11, 10:21 PM
Giles, I'll post them and you'll see the work I have ahead of me. I don't feel I will restore it for show, but for driving purposes. The owner got this car as part of a Fiat, and never worked on it. He purchased it in 2004. I was trying to put a belt on the air pump, but couldn't remove the air filter mount and one of the hoses just tore as I tried to work about it. Yeah, total rubber replacement, which I already figured, but had hoped some would be spared. It's got a lot of miles on it. Hopefully I'll figure out how to post them. Thanks for sharing

Old 10-16-11, 10:47 PM
Okay Giles, I couldn't figure out how to post......

Old 10-17-11, 05:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Old 10-17-11, 05:36 PM
Hi Chilly ...
This was my '71 MGB-GT as of then. B&W photo using my old Contaflex camera back then.
I really liked the passanger side mirror on the fender.. worked quite well then.
My only 'rain' issue was that if there was a good rain..the car wouldnt start. No leaks or anything, anywhere, just finiky when it rained hard...
How Morris Garage (ie MG ) dealt with that in a wet UK is interesting I would think.. !!

Old 10-17-11, 06:24 PM
Hey Jatco, cool lookin car! I like the mirror too. I finally got mine on my laptop, now just sending them. I found a pic of my car as it should look too.

Old 10-17-11, 06:38 PM
...Thanks.. I really loved that car.. especially being my 1st...and 1st time on a 'stick'. It was fun driving it off the sellers driveway.. That was in Masapequa NY.. I remember it well.
A friend of mine had a similar year SpitFire.. with the chrome trim on the 'seamed' fenders.. A rust spot for sure...!!
Lets see your pics..when you can!!

Old 11-30-11, 02:26 PM
Photos

ImageShack Album - 16 images

Car was made in 78, though title shows 79. Hope the photos turn out.

Old 11-30-11, 05:02 PM
Gotta love Lucas..........Having dealt with English bikes........We refered to Lucas as the ..................."Prince of Darkness"

Old 12-03-11, 10:50 AM
Great shots....and a Lot of work going on there.. Looking pretty good.
That had to be 'fun' .......
Nice going...!!