ABS issue advise

Old 10-13-11, 06:33 AM
ABS issue advise

Hi all,

Purchased a NTU 2003 Ford Explorer with 60,000 miles on it back in mid April from the Dealer. We had a 6 month limited powertrain warranty on it with a $100 deductible. Anyways, back in June the ABS light came on for a few minutes after driving and the went out. In a month it came on maybe twice. Then in early Aug. we heard some whine and took it back. they ended up changing a front bearing and a rear bearing/hub. they contributed the light coming on to the bearings. Then a week later it came on again for a while and once we shut the vehicle off it didn't reappear again. About a month later we heard another whine and took it back. again they found the other rear wheel bearing/hub that was bad which they changed at no charge. They found no ABS codes and advised it could be the wheel bearing again. This repair was done about two weeks ago and now about a week ago the ABS light came on for a couple minutes again then went off and hasn't come on since. We drove the truck this weekend for a trip 50 miles each way and it never came on. My question is could it still be a wheel bearing issue or something else. I am afraid if I take it back to the dealer if the light is not on they are not going to spend the time to troubleshoot and if I wait until it comes on and stays on it will be out of warranty even further and also it is not truly a powertrain ssue so the may charge me. I would think if it was a bearing issue the light would come on much more frequently than what it is. Any thoughts

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-11, 12:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have had all the bearings changed, then it can't be the bearings. There's so much that can go wrong with ABS it would astound you. Bearing, sensors at the front brakes, sensor in the differential, on and on. If the light hasn't come on and they can't find any codes, it may be fixed. Their equipment should show codes if there is something wrong. A simple OBDII scanner won't show them, however.

Old 10-13-11, 12:19 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, take it in and have them scan it.

Old 10-13-11, 07:35 PM
does your copy of the repair order state the trouble code that the tech diagnosed?

also, there is an improved rear axle speed sensor that the local Ford Dearer should have in stock.
abs problems are usually not covered by a power train warranty.
your 1st repair was, because it was caused by a failed wheel bearing, that is covered by power train coverage.
I would buy & install my own rear axle sensor, IF it has not already been done .

Search this Thread