1990 Toyota Corolla front hub loose after I changed the bearing

Old 10-14-11, 01:13 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1990 Toyota Corolla front hub loose after I changed the bearing

I changed the front bearing (had the old pressed out and a new pressed in) and put it all back together. I torqued the axle nut to 137 like the specs said. Still have play in the front hub. It's not the ball joint or tie rod end. It's straight down the center of the axle. Is that common? Could the spleen actually be worn to where it's loose like that?

Old 10-14-11, 05:06 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
well, spleen will be ok, as far as you do not lean too much onto Jack Daniels.

why is that you replaced bearing only? and not entire hub?
next, that you bought aftermarket bearing, does not nerecessily means that it's perfect match. car was made 23 years ago, a lot changed ever since. esp in bearings realm.

driveaxle has nothing to do with loose hub, splines carry no structural support on them, they simply transfer torque from transmission to wheel. either entire hub is busted, or where hub is seated on steering knuckle.

that hub assembly looks just like any other on front wheel drive. looking at it here:
| Repair Guides | Automatic Transaxle | Automatic Transaxle Assembly | AutoZone.com
it's either ball joint, or hub, or strut mount. or all the above. she's got some age, you know.

Old 10-15-11, 04:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 118 Posts
Just for clarity, you're saying the hub (or something in that area) moves in and out when you apply pressure? I'm with uk; not a whole lot of things that would allow that to happen. Wrong width (depth) of bearing or a missing washer would allow shaft to move if the axle nut bottoms out before taking up slack. If you've eliminated ball joint and tie rod (which don't directly affect the shaft in/out) about all that's left would be lower control arm bushings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: