87 Buick Riviera Seat Removal

Old 10-19-11, 05:09 PM
87 Buick Riviera Seat Removal

The driver side electric seat has a number of faulty motors and I'm trying to remove to repair. The seat is stuck fully back and almost fully down. I can remove the front retaining nuts. I cannot remove the rear nuts because the seat has to be forward to access them. There has to be some means of disconnecting the drive mechanism or mechanically turning the drive screw to move the seat forward. Anyone? The seat being down means there is little clearance under the seat to get hands in.

The passenger side is simple to remove because the motors work.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-11, 09:32 AM
To add to the previous information, I worked out the drive mechanism from the passenger seat. The front motor has shafts coming out of each side which go to right angle gearboxes to drive the seat forward/back screws. The shafts have plastic covers so you cannot turn the shaft with them. I stretched one far enough to see a thin drive shaft inside. Not enough room to get in and turn it, particularly on the driver seat. There does not seem to be access from the outside of the gearboxes.

Old 10-23-11, 09:47 AM
You may have to approach this from under the floor.Maybe back the bolts out at ways with vise grips then cut them off with a sawzall on top.Just a wild thought.