performance intake air filters

Old 10-20-11, 07:00 AM
performance intake air filters

As for these filters that look like mega K cup coffee filters, anyone know of dynamo meter tests that prove significant if any increase in HP?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-11, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
Go to the K&N website. They have claims of more hp.

IMO all they do is make the car sound cool on acceleration, and let hot engine air into the intake.

Not worth the money. Once you hear that cool sound you tend to floor it more, hence wasting more gas. The warm/hot air in the intake is also detramental to engine performance.

Instead of the snorkel type I would get a K&N type filter that fits in the stock air box. Thats what I have. No performance gains but I just wash and oil the filter every 25,000 miles.

Mike NJ

Old 10-20-11, 08:27 AM
thank you lawrosa.
I dare not go to the website because I do not believe that is anything but an expensive gimmick as far as HP goes.
However if I sound skeptical, I really am.
There is a possibility that I am totally wrong, but to frugal to want to try one.
Remember the carbs years ago that touted 25% incraese in mileage? Tom

Old 10-20-11, 08:38 AM
Dont you think with all the car companies fighting to get more milage, if these things worked they would be putting them on at the factory?

Old 10-20-11, 03:29 PM
I agree with you Wrench
My wife has a 07 CTS six naturally aspirated. I Wish GM had put something on it to improve the crummy mileage.

Old 10-20-11, 06:57 PM
get E-Ram..........................

Old 10-20-11, 07:00 PM
also, keep in mind - and I equip ALL of my cars with K&N filters - they work only at the red line range. for normal driving, there's no noticeable power gain. I use them cuz they improve mpg though.

Old 10-21-11, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by ukrbyk View Post
also, keep in mind - and I equip ALL of my cars with K&N filters - they work only at the red line range. for normal driving, there's no noticeable power gain. I use them cuz they improve mpg though.
I find that hard to believe.
Modern vehicles can run with a badly plugged air filter and still get good mileage. The air/fuel mixture remains the same. As you said, at higher rpm's and WOT a dirty filter would begin to hamper performance but for normal driving I can't see where there is any benefit to K&N. I don't think they filter as well as a normal paper filter anyway.. but that's just me.
If K&N had any mileage improvement at all the auto companies would be all over them.

To the original poster, why do you ask about those filters? What kind of vehicle do you have and what benefit are you looking for?
(Those filters might get your Corvette down the 1/4 mile a couple of 10ths faster but it wouldn't get your Civic to the market any faster).

Old 10-21-11, 02:49 PM
To 2granddaughters.
You asked what I was looking for concerning the [email protected] filters. I am looking for folks that believe as I do that the filters are, as someone has said " no matter how you slice it, its still baloney. Thanks for your reply, Tom

Old 10-21-11, 04:07 PM
I have used K&N on two vehicles (both 4.3 Vortec V6 - Jimmy and Blazer)), one with 156,000 miles and the other abused one (my wife's) with 125,000 miles and have had great luck. No drop in performance or mileage and no worries or running out for another filter. They work and are worth the money in the end. Since they have always been used, I have nothing to compare them to.

My car with more miles on it has been bullet-proof since I bought it with 24,000 miles on it. The previous owner was GM (not dealer) and came with a new K&N filter. Since I had good lick on my Corvette, I automatically adopted it and went for it for my wife's car to keep things simple.

I don't know if it was the best choice, but there has never been any performance problems and it appears my choice has been good.

Dick

Old 10-21-11, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
I find that hard to believe.
Modern vehicles can run with a badly plugged air filter and still get good mileage. The air/fuel mixture remains the same. As you said, at higher rpm's and WOT a dirty filter would begin to hamper performance but for normal driving I can't see where there is any benefit to K&N. I don't think they filter as well as a normal paper filter anyway.. but that's just me.
If K&N had any mileage improvement at all the auto companies would be all over them.

To the original poster, why do you ask about those filters? What kind of vehicle do you have and what benefit are you looking for?
(Those filters might get your Corvette down the 1/4 mile a couple of 10ths faster but it wouldn't get your Civic to the market any faster).
I am not sure what you find hard to believe.
1. they do work at red line, or max rpms/full throttle. look at performance charts. gain is up in high rpms range. plus, from personal PRACTICAL experience, I can confirm it. you have to press to floor and hold, hold, hold, and you WILL tell the difference.
2. increase in mpg. unfortunately, I have it documented. back from my 1200 miles a week times, I kept driver log. first K&N I had on my CR-V gained about 1 mile to a gallon. not much, but at that driving volume counts.

Old 10-24-11, 04:26 PM
UKRBYK
Where can I find the performance figures for the K&D filters that you mentioned.
Are these figures from an independent testing lab, or K&D. I would have no faith in the manufacturers performance curves unless they were certfied by an independent test lab.
At age 80, I don't drive around at red line.

Search this Thread