auto trannie cleaners

Old 10-20-11, 07:15 AM
auto trannie cleaners

Hi, guys -
I bought an '02 "certified" used Camry from a dealer in '08.
After 40K miles I changed the trannie fluid. It looked like coffee!
I'm assuming the fluid was factory. There was a clunk in the car at acceleration, which I greatly reduced by putting in new engine mounts; and thank you Tow guy for the assistance there.
Now it 'lugs' the engine down at stop lights. If I pop it into neutral it goes back up to normal RPM. Shall I run a cleaner through it, or should I drop the pan
and change out the strainer. I've been told to try spraying PB Blaster down the fill tube. I've also been advised not to go with a transmission flush.
You guys I trust completely. What do you recommend...
Jim in MA

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-11, 08:43 AM
Drop the pan,change the filt and refill adding a can of "Lube Guard" this stuff works. My son had the same problem as you and a can of this stuff fixed it.Most of the trans shops around here add it with every rebuild.

Old 10-20-11, 09:37 AM
Thanks, RW-
Will do
Jim in MA

Old 10-20-11, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
Unless I'm mistaken, that'll be a cleanable screen in there vice a disposable filter. Not much you can do to it besides clean and reinstall.

Do I understand it only has around 40k miles on it now? That is very low mileage on a Toyota to be having any kind of tranny issues even if it was factory fluid. Most Toyotas die of something else long before they wear out the tranny.

Retired wrench's plan is about the extent of what you can DIY; beyond that probably time for a professional look-see at a good independent tranny shop.

Old 10-20-11, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
I read it to be an '02 bought in 08' and which has had 40K miles put on it since then.

Old 10-20-11, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks, mitch, I'm losing my mind today over the website mess and can't even read threads properly.

Okay, what I should have asked was how many miles on it now? An '02 I'm guessing around 150k or so; my wife's '01 is at 140k but had very low mileage on it when bought in '04.

Old 10-29-11, 11:10 AM
the '02 Camry has 102K on it. I took R-W's advice and ordered a new filter (I'm told it's a strainer, actually). The brown truck has delivered it, so I'll put it in. Mr. Retired Wrench suggested a can of Lubeguard; but there are several different types of the stuff; so which of 'em is recommended.
Their product which treats torque converter "shudder" did arouse my interest.
Do you recommend I pour in synthetic ATF when I drop the pan?
At 102K this car is still tight as a drum and sips fuel, so I plan to keep it until we both have to quit! Toyotas do rule!!
While I'm here, lately it does make a "raspy, buzzy" when it's cold. After it's been warmed up it's quiet as a lamb - exhaust?

Old 10-29-11, 02:18 PM
I would drop the pan and clean or replace the filter depending on whether it is only a strainer. Whatever you do DO NOT let anyone put that car on a flush machine, especially with dirty fluid. It will not only flush out the old fluid, but will also knock build up and crud off of the filter to circulate once again through the system.

Edited to add: I see now that you are indeed changing the filter. I am new in these parts and did not notice that the forum by default puts the newest reply first with the original thread at the bottom.

Search this Thread