Tire Pressure Monitors & Air Valves

Old 10-26-11, 01:49 PM
Tire Pressure Monitors & Air Valves

Hello,
it is a pain to have to drop my spare from underneath the vehicle to get to the tire valve to add air. I am much older now and am looking for a solution like:
Adding a pressure hose connection to the tire valve to extend it up to or near the rear bumper. I have seen these extender hoses at aftermarket stores and they have brass connections. My vehicle has these tire pressure monitors installed. Would there be a problem if I installed an extension hose? I am concerned about possible electrolosis of dissimular metals if the brass connectors do not match the metal of the tire valve and or tire pressure monitor. I place a magnet against the monitor and tire valve and do not feel any magnetic pull.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-11, 04:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would think you should have no problem with the extenders. Most valve stems are brass as well, so no electrolysis should take place.

Old 10-26-11, 04:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Larry, while the inside of the new high tech valve stems has some brass, the exterior of the valve stem appears to be aluminum [or something].... at least that's how it is on my 2010 jeep.

What might worry me is if the hose would be compromised by the weather and everything that would get thrown up by the tires. The spare isn't monitored and if the hose started to leak - you wouldn't know until you checked. New tires do a good job of holding air so I wouldn't think it would be a big issue if you only checked the spare a couple of times a year.

Old 10-26-11, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
Actually Mark....I think I have seen on here that some brands do monitor the spare. I think its one of the systems that actually has RF monitors in the tires vs those that use the abs system to determine low pressure.

And who checks the spare more than twice a year or so? I know I don't.....

And don't they make Fix a flat stuff that won't mess up sensors now? Or how about one of those baby DC compressors if it is low when you have a flat?

Old 10-26-11, 07:38 PM
I just went through an expensive repair on one of the tires because of what I believe is damage caused by electrolosis. Some time ago, I purchase metal air caps for the valves and during a yearly state inspection, I learned all the air caps seized up on air valves. Tools were needed to remove them. Four were removed with minimum damage, but one was on so tight that the threaded part of the air valve was damaged in removing it. I was told this may happen.
So the next time I needed air in the damaged one, I had a difficult time in adding air. So I took my vehicle back to the dealer for repairs.The cost of repairs was 234.00. A new air pressure monitor was needed and all the other tires needed to be re-programed. The tire pressure monitor also has a built in tire valve.
At this point, I do not know if I can successfully install pressure hoses until I try it.

So be forewarned! Use plastic air caps on your tire air valves