Lubricate whell nuts?

Old 11-03-11, 07:08 AM
Lubricate whell nuts?

It bugs me that whenever my dealership rotates my tires they put the wheel nuts back on dry and over torque them so that when I want to change a tire or put on my snow tires I can't budge them even with a heavy duty t-bar wrench.

My dad taught me to always put a little grease or petroleum jelly on the wheel bolts before threading the nut on. You can tighten the nuts well but they they also release without excessive effort.

My dealership argued with me when I insisted they lubricate the nuts, saying it is not adviseable, they don't over torque, etc. but I insisted. Of course the next time I forgot to mention it and the same thing happened. There is no way I could budge the wheel nuts. Not good if I have to change a tire on the side of the road late at night.

What would you advise for lubricating wheel nuts?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-11, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
I never use grease or oil anymore. I put just a touch of anti-seize compound on the cleaned stud. Just a light smear...it doesn't take much.

I also put just a bit at contact points between the wheel and the brake drum, hub, whatever.

I do think I've heard that you shouldn't put anything on the lugs as it can mess up the torque value...but I've never had an issue.

Old 11-03-11, 07:49 AM
Torque settings are established on clean dry threads. And it is not reccomended to lube them. However I dont see that it would hurt anything to lube them providing they are torqued properly. Many places just run them on with a air wrench, tighter than hell. I would suggest you buy a torque wrench and check them after any service work.

Old 11-03-11, 09:26 AM
do not lubricate studs. any grease will cake from heat, as rim heats up along with brakes action.
let me guess - you have alloys? because if yes, you have standard "lugs sucked into aluminum from vibration" issue.
use anti seize only.
if you do have alloys, make sure you have recommended nuts, and they can get very intricate in design and more intricate in price.

a note on the side. I have 1200 pound foot impact wrench. it breaks center nuts without any effort. I have never ever managed to overtorque a lug nut with it. mof, if we use it, we always hand torque after. I am seriously not sure what impact wrench has to do with this. I THOUGHT it will, but when we started using it on lugs, I found that wheels turn loose in about a week or so, followed by realization that 1200 pounder simply dose NOT tighten lugs well enough.

Old 11-03-11, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by hryckman View Post
It bugs me that whenever my dealership rotates my tires they put the wheel nuts back on dry and over torque them so that when I want to change a tire or put on my snow tires I can't budge them even with a heavy duty t-bar wrench.
What is a good Canadian DIY'er doing having the dealership rotate his tires ??!!

I use a touch of Nev'r-Seez on the lugs, hub surfaces where wheel contacts and the hub where wheel center rests. Get a cheap torque wrench when CTC has them on sale and if you have the dealer rotate the tires again, ask them to hand torque at the end (And check them when you get home !!)

Old 11-04-11, 07:31 AM
Any good air wrench will over torque a lug bolt. I have done it and have had it done when getting new tires. And if you are cooking grease you have a problem or are going down a mountain with the brakes on.

Old 11-05-11, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the replies all. It is very helpful.

I have a hand torque wrench. What is the right setting for wheel nuts?

Old 11-05-11, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
All depends on the vehicle...one of mine is 90 ft lbs..the other is 105 ft lbs, IIRC.

Check the dealer or repair manual if you have one. May also be available at Autozone.com under specs for your model.

Old 11-05-11, 04:23 PM
Just GOOGLE "wheel nut torque specs" and fill in the blank for your vehicle.

Every post should include the make/model/year of the vehicle that you are asking about. Without that simple information we are shooting in the dark on most posts.

Old 11-07-11, 09:10 PM
Also, a touch of never seize on the threads, will prevent the threads
from galling between the stud & nut.