Color code BX vs K1

Old 11-09-11, 05:57 AM
Color code BX vs K1

I have a sonata 2003 color code BX, and i am in the middle of replacing my side fender, I have it primed and ready for spray painting(12oz cans), but the auto parts stores don't have BX only K1.

K1 and BX are Bright Silver Metalic, K1 is used for newer models and BX is for 2002 to 2005.

So, Can i use the spray can K1 instead of BX?

Thanks

edit: can i ad color code S7 to the mix.

Last edited by Gas2Oil; 11-09-11 at 07:59 AM. Reason: S7
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-11, 01:10 PM
you go to automotive paints store, and have if mixed for you in proper color. exact color code is usually somewhere in the trunk. sticker. will be exact match. anything else will show. it will still look new-er, but couple days of driving will take care of that.

Old 11-09-11, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
I doubt painting an entire fender with rattle cans will really turn out very well anyway. Use whatever is available cheapest.

Or find out what a shop would charge to just shoot the fender.

Old 11-09-11, 01:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Or if you don't have a good size air compressor, use it as an excuse to buy the compressor and gun and diy

Some automotive paint stores will custom mix colors and put it in a rattle can for you.......... but I agree with Vic, a cup gun would be better

Old 11-09-11, 04:11 PM
no compressor at this time

Well, I went ahead and bought the K1 paint from advance auto, i also picked up a primer, sand paper 1000 grin and clear coat.

The uploaded pics are worth a 1000 words.

The primer, and the paint came out nice, but while i was working on the clear coat, i screwed up and i ended up with a drip (a tear).

any way i can got that fixed so i can put the second coat?

also not to forgot, thanks guys for the advice, but i already went checking out the prices to paint the fender, i got from $350 -$700 price range.

i already replaced the winshield so i can afford anymore expanses, and by the way, my excuse is a good time to buy a generator.

Pictures by oil2gas - Photobucket

Last edited by Gas2Oil; 11-09-11 at 04:12 PM. Reason: doh! the pics...
Old 11-09-11, 06:13 PM
yeah, you can sand it down to primer and re-paint. good luck. but before you get to sanding part, let it cure for about a day. paint needs to be hard. you can shine some strong shop lights at it close, works as a heat generator. unless you are in Florida, it's getting too cold to paint outside.

Old 11-09-11, 06:47 PM
Thank you for the quick response, i'll wait til to morrow to sand it to the paint as you said.
then put a nice coat of clear sealer and apply some wax to it.

Old 11-09-11, 08:56 PM
yeah, you really need to put some warmth to it. like I said - shop lights or couple of 100W light bulbs next to it. those runs have tendency to stay soft longer than paint, and smear bad when you try sanding them.
also, you'll end up with transition area. dust and dirt will cover it, but if you were a perfectionist..
when you buy proper paint at the paint store, you can, and are advised to, to mix in hardener that cures paint faster.
but hey, it looks overall OK, and you should be proud of yourself. rattle cans are pita to paint with.

Old 11-10-11, 04:54 AM
ukrbyk, Thanks for the tip, i should finish this project today if the weather permits.

You are right, it looks OK, it will never look as good as if it were done at the body shop. but in term of saving and personnel accomplishments... priceless

Search this Thread