2004 Buick Regaal 3.8 engine

Old 11-13-11, 01:16 PM
2004 Buick Regaal 3.8 engine

I have a 2004 Buick Regal that that is giving me fits. About three weeks ago I filled up with gas and right away notice my engine would stall out. I put dry gas in the tanks and thought the problem would go away. Evey now and then it would continue to stall, but you could put it in netural and restart the engine and everything would be all right for awhile. After three (3)tanks of gas of gas it is still doing it. Only now it is happening more often.

It has got to the point now when you are driving the car and the engine quits, I may not be able to restart it. Sounds like the battery can not turn the engine over and the light dim. If you let it set for awhile then you can restart the car.

I noticed that when the engine stalls the instrument panel, all the lights come on and there is a clicking noise.but again if you let it set for awhile. Everything is fine.

I have had he battery check from three different garages and they say the battery is okay. I even tried out a new Interstate battery and I had this problem happen again. So I do not think is it battery.

This is driving me nuts. Is there anything else I can do. I have taken this to the garage and they say the computer does not show any thing wrong.

Where do I go from here.

Thanks for your replies

Bolens 66

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-11, 02:38 PM
While lots of things could be causing this, including corroded cables and bad grounds, because it is a GM and in that age of vehicle I am going to just take a wild guess and think that something is going on with the ignition switch. Do the dash lights flash when it stalls? If so then that would be more reason think about the ignition switch. Again there are alot of other things it could be also, but there have been a fair share of ignition switch failures on that size of GM car starting from around the 2000MY.

Old 11-13-11, 03:08 PM
start with cleaning cable terminals.
sometimes, cable terminals have several pieces bolted together, and they rust out in between.
check engine ground wire.
run can of Seafoam through tankful of gas.

read error codes!!

Old 11-13-11, 03:11 PM
The dash lights do flash . What is causing the clicking noise? Why isn't this being recorded on the computer?

Old 11-13-11, 04:53 PM
clicking noise when you turn ignition key is starter solenoid, aka Bendix, trying to overcome spring and engage with flywheel, to spin the engine. If it does not have enough power supplied to it, it simply clicks.
You have all typical signs of undercharged battery. If battery is known to be good, and is fully charged, then you have some sort of power drop between battery and starter.
normally, at start up, electrical management system sends a lot of power supply to starter. without proper power reserve, the rest of the electronic devices run underpowered.
out of curiosity, I'd try jumpstarting from another vehicle, with that engine running at higher rpms. see what happens. just to see how it will behave with A LOT of power supply.
computer will not detect fusible links or relays, etc, malfunction. it sounds like you have a large resistor placed somewhere between battery and starter.
reason I told you to run Seafoam through is cuz it's excellent and safe cleaner to use. as you still have stalling problem.

Old 11-13-11, 04:56 PM
engine, battery, or starter negative corroded cables can possibly cause this. bad starts.

Old 11-13-11, 05:37 PM
While everyone as always are giving excellent problem diagnosis and possible corrective actions based on experience and knowledge, I still think that because of your particular vehicle, and year, and the fact that the dash lights are flashing, you may very well have a failing ignition switch. I am not talking about the key part the the electrical part that the key lock is attached to. The connections inside the switch can loosen and fail and cause all these issues including stalling and clicking sounds. I think alot of these switches at that time were sourced from Mexico and quite a few GM models had issues with them over time, some even during their first year. I would at least consider this as a good possibility and something to investigate.

Old 11-15-11, 03:30 PM
To Equinox

Want to thank you for your concern and advise. Took car to Garage today and mentioned to them that it could be the ignition switch. I was hoping it would happen to them while they were checking it out.

They called about a hour ago and told them The problem I was happening also happen to them and they said it was the igntion switch which they will replace.

Will keep you posted after the work has been performed.

Than again

Bolens 66

Old 11-15-11, 07:04 PM
home run for equinox!!! congratulations.

Old 11-15-11, 11:46 PM
Sounds like the OP is finally getting his GM mystery sorted out . If so, the home run is his. Who wants their car doing what his was doing, and feeling more frustrated not being able to resolve it.? Anyway that is what this forum is all about, and why we all try to help where we can.

Old 11-20-11, 11:02 AM
re 2004 Buick Regal 3800 engine

Had the dealership where I puchased the car change the ignition switch last Tuesday and so far eveything seems to be fine

Thanks again for all your help

Bolens 66

ps This dealership once was Pontiac Buick . They lost it when GM let loose a bunch of Dealers. Thet still have their mechanics and work on GM cars but just sell GM use cars now. They were a small dealer and a small town and do not have large volumn of traffic

Old 11-20-11, 05:14 PM
You know at least from my experience some of the best GM dealers were the small ones in the small towns and they were the ones that were the first to be let go. They employed all local folks and knew how important it was to take care of their customers. Most always relied on their used car lot and service to carry the business anyway, with many not selling much more than 100 new vehicles a year, (a good week for some big city dealers) but they all knew what fairness and honesty meant. Glad you at least still have that in your neck of the woods. I don't in mine.