2001 Pontiac Grand Am

Old 11-13-11, 01:33 PM
2001 Pontiac Grand Am

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand AM that idles good but lacks power after about 30 miles an hour. I've changed the fuel filter which didn't seem to help. It seems like it doesn't get enough gas. Any help ould be appreciated. There are no check engine lights on.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-11, 01:45 PM
Is that the 2.2 liter or the V6 version? How many miles on it, and what maintenance has been done to it that you know of. There are a few things that can cause a power loss over 30 mpg and if it has very high miles it could even be a partial blocked cat converter for instance due to too much back pressure in the exhaust.

Old 11-13-11, 02:05 PM
check fuel pressure.
check air filter.
check fuel pressure regulator.
check for obvious vacuum or air leaks, loose lines and hoses.
clean your PCV valve.

Old 11-13-11, 02:41 PM
It is a v6 with 125,000 miles. It has had regular maintenance. The car runs perfect at idle and up to about 30 miles per hour. As long as you don't put your foot too far down, it runs good. It lacks power when you step on the gas.

Old 11-13-11, 04:42 PM
Everything that ukrbyk suggested first, but if all checks out consider checking excessive back pressure in the cat converter also. When they block you get the same symptoms that you are seeing.

Old 11-15-11, 09:46 PM
I forgot to mention that along with a potential Cat Converter issue, a bad o2 sensor can also sometimes cause severe power loss like you are describing. If the ECM decides that an o2 sensor is unreliable it can ignore it completely. Despite the fact that no CEL is on, I would suggest that a check be made for any fault codes as well regardless.