1995 Buick LeSabre air/fan/vent directional problem

Old 11-16-11, 06:48 AM
1995 Buick LeSabre air/fan/vent directional problem

With the colder weather fast approaching would like to try and remedy having air blowing in my face all the time!

The problem is that when the fan is turned on the only place the air will come out is through the windshield defrost no matter what setting is selected. (Didn't mind it so much in the summer when the air conditioner was running though!)

Both the air conditioning and heat work fine, just won't let me direct it to where I want it.

Is there some way I can check to see where the problem could be? Fuse? Switch?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-11, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
A lot of cars have their blend doors controlled with vacuum actuators, so you're probably looking at a vacuum leak in the lines to the actuators or a bad actuator. Can be a PITA to work on due to location under dash. The other possibility would be that the door is cable actuated and either the cable is bad or disconnected where it attaches to the door. Sometimes the cable-actuated ones have the attaching point break off the door.

Old 11-17-11, 06:15 AM
Thanks, Tow-guy, for your reply. Judging from the description on how it's remedied, I might be letting my hair blow in the wind this winter! :-) Would there be anywhere (on-line? at the library?) a person could look to see where this actuator is located under the dash? (Just in case I decide I can't handle it and want to try and fix it!)

Thanks!

Old 11-17-11, 12:12 PM
Group Moderator
That might be a tough find; very often the common DIY repair manuals don't go into much depth in that particular area. You can check a Chilton, Haynes manual or online at autozone.com, but I'm not too optimistic. AllData will probably contain the info - they're quite complete - but that'll cost you; it's by subscription @ $26.95/year or $44.95/5 yr. It's the same info professional garages use (they pay a LOT more for the professional subscription).