defective airbag chevy malibu 2010

Old 11-20-11, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
defective airbag chevy malibu 2010

I had the passenger airbag in a 2010 Malibu deploy and I believe explode for no apparent reason. I was traveling about 5 mph, just ready to close my windows and start ac, when I heard this very loud noise, as if a transformer had blown. There was no hole in the road...nothing that I could detect to cause this to happen. Local police advised me to get out of the car immediately. They did not know if another air bag would deploy while I was sitting behind the wheel. Thankfully, there was no passenger in the car. Has anyone heard of this happening in that year car? If I had been on a main road it would have been very dangerous due to the abrupt stop I made when it deployed.

Has anyone heard of this happening in that year car?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-11, 08:22 AM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
There are no recalls for that model, yet. You should report it pronto. Through your report and any others, the NHSTA looks for trends and problems when deciding whether a recall is in order. If you are the only one who has ever had this poroblem, it's doubtful there would ever be a recall, but the chances of you being the only one are pretty slim.

Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Old 11-20-11, 11:59 AM
Defective airbag

Thanks for your reply...I contacted the Dept. of Defective(I think) Vehicles...they posted the complaint. I just want to know what caused it to deploy. Any ideas? It was a very hot day...could that have had anything to do with it?

Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
There are no recalls for that model, yet. You should report it pronto. Through your report and any others, the NHSTA looks for trends and problems when deciding whether a recall is in order. If you are the only one who has ever had this poroblem, it's doubtful there would ever be a recall, but the chances of you being the only one are pretty slim.

Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Old 11-13-12, 06:10 AM
saw this thread and this just happened to my parents with a 2010 Chevy Malibu!! Driving about 30-35 mph on a main road in the city where they live and they heard a hugh explosion, the airbags exploded and hard plastic pieces went all over the car. Windows of course were closed because it was chilly and they couldn't breathe. Dealership came and picked up the car so too late to take pics of interior; advised them not to sign anything!! from the dealership & to go to Dr to check hearing, lung capacity/oxygen levels - plus bruising is starting to show up today. Dad will be 91 this week, mom is mid 80's. Needless to say I am not too happy about this happening to them. Still researching today - looking for more info - Unbelievable!