How to add auto transmission fluid to 99 VW Beetle??

Old 11-24-11, 01:11 AM
How to add auto transmission fluid to 99 VW Beetle??

I would like to be able to top off the auto transmission fluid in my Beetle myself but I don't know how. Too bad VW didn't just put a tube like most cars. Any way if anyone can direct me to info that either shows or tells me how to do this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-11, 04:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it doesn't have a dipstick tube - how do you know if it's low or how much to add?

Old 11-24-11, 04:44 AM
Group Moderator
There are quite a few cars now that don't have a dipstick/fill tube. They're serviced from a plug in the side of the transmission like with a rear wheel drive differential; you fill until you get a slight overflow. I'm guessing your Beetle is one like this.

Old 11-27-11, 10:14 AM
yes it is the sealed type that is filled through a side plug as you mention. I have just not done it myself and wondered if anyone had any input about doing it. Like locating the plug where I would fill it at. Thanks.

Old 11-27-11, 10:50 AM
The other reason they no longer provide dip stick tubes is that in most cases these days they never 'need to be topped off', only changed per owners manual, with some vehicle manufacturers right or wrong considering the auto transmission fluid a lifetime fill even. What makes you think that you even need to 'top it off'?

Old 12-01-11, 03:42 AM
In response to those that ask what makes me think it needs to be topped off it is this. It has a small leak. I have had fluid added to it twice in the last 2 years by a trusted shop that works on german vehicles. There is not an issue of weather it needs more or not but how to do it myself. I just hate to pay the shop to do something that I could possibly do myself. The_Tow_Guy seems to know what I am talking about. Thanks for the input anyway.

Old 12-01-11, 10:23 AM
Sorry kmeyer301 in regards to my earlier response but it was not clear that you were in fact losing fluid through a very slow leak. Below are some basic reference steps to follow from what I have found: I am not sure how important it is to confirm the fluid temperature, but I am guessing that it should at least only be warm to the touch, not cold, or hot. You may need to buy, or make your own refill device to flow the added fluid into the transmission side hole. These are often a tube arrangement and hand pump device. Perhaps others here can offer their ideas around this requirement.

Make sure the drivetrain is cold. Check that the car is parked on level ground. Ensure the parking brake is set and start the engine. Move the shift lever through all of the gear positions, finishing with the lever in "Park."

Locate the "Level-Check" plug on the automatic transaxle. Remove the plug and if possible confirm the fluid temperature by placing a thermometer probe into the hole. The temperature of the fluid should be between 95 and 113 degrees Fahrenheit.

With the "Level-Check" plug removed and the transaxle fluid at the correct temperature, the fluid should just drip out slowly thought the plug hole. The fluid level is correct if this was the case.

Add fluid if there were no drops observed when the plug was removed. Locate and remove the "Fill Plug" . Slowly add new fluid in the "Fill Plug" hole until transaxle fluid just drips out through the "Level-Check" hole.

Install the plugs when the transaxle fluid level is correct. Make sure that new seals are installed on the plugs to prevent fluid leaks.

If it were my vehicle I would probably either pay and have the leak corrected or accept the added cost every 2 years in regards to topping it all up based at least on this basic procedure, and equipment required. Are you planning on keeping this vehicle for many more years?

Old 12-08-11, 08:56 AM
Put some fluid in a pump type oil can and pump away.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 12-09-11 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Typo fix