Seat repair

Old 11-25-11, 11:21 AM
Seat repair

I have a 02 blazer, and against my better judgment I let some one barrow it. And some how they managed to brake off the lever that adjust the seat. Does any one happen to know if this is fixable, or do I need to take it some place. The rod is cast aluminum, I was thinking of super gluing the 2 tabs, that broke off the rod, and using a longer screw to hold the handle on.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-11, 01:10 PM
1. THEY broke it - THEY fix it. that's global rule of thumb.
2. No handle in the world will be held together by super glue, or any glue.
3. Not sure what you mean by "rod". normally, plastic handle is attached to a steel lever. Hence, handles can be replaced. Junk yards usually serve as good source. "rod" is something you need to elaborate on, or simply post a pic.

Old 11-25-11, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by ukrbyk View Post
1. THEY broke it - THEY fix it. that's global rule of thumb.
2. No handle in the world will be held together by super glue, or any glue.
3. Not sure what you mean by "rod". normally, plastic handle is attached to a steel lever. Hence, handles can be replaced. Junk yards usually serve as good source. "rod" is something you need to elaborate on, or simply post a pic.
urrby, I agree with you on the global rule of thumb, but this is way be on there scope of things, and I don't want to wait that long any way.
Ok instead of rod, maybe I should have said shaft. It sticks out the side of the seat, and the handle is attached to it. It was a splined shaft, with about a 1/2 inch slot, to index the handle. You don't think the super glue, with a longer screw would hold the handle in place. If it wasn't cast aluminum, I would just weld a handle on it.

Old 11-25-11, 05:53 PM
Nothing to lose by trying some kind of glue other than it failing and then you having to clean it all off the spline. Not sure what you mean by super glue. I am wondering if a product like JB Weld or another 2 part type of adhesive would prove to last longer, or actually work. I am still not sure why you don't try a salvage yard and replace the handle with a good salvaged part and be done with it. I think most of us would go down that path first.

Old 11-25-11, 09:47 PM
I though I had explained my self clearly. The handle is fine, it is the shaft, that the handle screws into that is broken. And from what IU can see with a mirror under the seat, the shaft is part of the seat back, and seat bottom. It is the hinge point, for reclining the seat.

Old 11-26-11, 01:14 PM
Why not pull out the seat and have a good look at what you are dealing with and whether what is broken actually can be repaired with any strength using a two part product, and also if something was sticking inside that caused the problem in the first place. On a 10 year old truck you also still have the option of just picking up an entire seat from a salvage yard assuming you can find something the same and something not ruined by the weather exposure. If it was me, I would take the 30 minutes and pull the seat out and decide from that point.

Search this Thread