Honda accord automatic transmission not shifting over 55 MPH

Old 11-29-11, 03:43 AM
Honda accord automatic transmission not shifting over 55 MPH

94 honda had TCM replaced with a TCM for a 96 because mechanic said the 94 TCM maxed out and failed at high rpms and the 96 will work but light will flash instead of staying solid.

Car is using a lot of gas when son does interstate driving. He says it stays 'engaged'? Rev'ed up?

He claims he can see the gas needle go down. THere are no smells or leaks, the catalytic converter is new, and the exhaust has all been replaced.

Could the TCM need some kind of reprogramming for the 94? We did have 3 qts of honda transmision fluid replaced two times and it still does it.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-11, 04:49 AM
Group Moderator
If it's not shifting over 55 I'm assuming he's not getting into overdrive, hence higher fuel consumption. The '94 and '96 are at least in the same "generation", so that's a plus, but if you are getting a check engine light something's not kosher. I suspect that even though the newer model tcm might "work", it may not work 100%. I think your next stop should be a good tranny specialty shop (guessing it's being worked on at a general repair shop); sounds like you're trying to put band-aids on a problem instead of fixing the underlying issue.

I can't even guess what "maxed out and failed at high rpms" even means.

Old 11-29-11, 12:49 PM
yeah, like I was told before. Every time you swap transmissions, you must have ECM or TCM swapped either to match. Or trannie will not work.
Yes, indeed, fifth gen was 94 through 97, but it means squat as there are various options and engine trims.

sorry, goofed, just noticed it's Accord, not Civic.

North American

The 5th generation North American Accord was launched in 1994 and was based on the new 'CD' chassis. Larger than its predecessor, primarily to better suit the requirements of the North American market, the new model grew in width but shrunk in length, leaving it classified as a mid-size car in North America. It thus became too wide to fit within the favorable tax bracket in Japan, where its role was to be partially taken over by the smaller second-generation Honda Ascot and Honda Rafaga. The engines offered also exceeded the maximum limit of 2000 cc to remain in the favorable tax bracket as well. Honda of Japan marketed four different size engines in the Japan-Spec Accord Sedan:1.8, 2.0, 2.2 VTEC and 2.2 DOHC VTEC. The Japanese-spec Accord models were marketed as the following: EF, EX, 2.0EX, 2.0EXL, 2.2VTE, 2.2VTL, 2.2VTS and SiR.

make sure OD is not disengaged. They used to have OD off button right on gear shifter, was very easy to press.

but I stick to what I was told. Trannie or engine swap = ECU swap. Or retuning.

Old 11-29-11, 12:52 PM
Group Moderator
Update; Happened to be dropping a vehicle at my favorite tranny shop today and mentioned this issue. After I described the problem and before mentioning the tcm swap-out, he said, "Control module" so it sounds like you're on the right track. When I related the installation of the '96 tcm in the '94 car he kind of raised an eyebrow and shook his head. He didn't think it was a good idea and he mentioned that the earlier years ('88-ish to '94-ish) had tcm issues and he replaces a lot of them. He said a reman one goes for about $250.

Old 11-29-11, 01:03 PM
I looked at my registration and this is a 92, not a 94. We didn't replace the tranny, just the computer module.

Old 11-29-11, 06:05 PM
man, not only I confused Civic and Accord, but, also, TCM for transmission. And I do not drink or smoke or even know what dope smells like...

Anyhow. I still say it's simply incompatible parts. OD did work before that swap, did it?

But honestly, as much as Civics were a killer success, as much Accords sucked. Lousy engines and performance. But no, OD has to work, period.

Old 11-29-11, 06:23 PM
car hardly drove b4 computer replaced. Had to manually shift up and down.

Old 11-30-11, 04:49 AM
Group Moderator
I really doubt you are going to make it work beyond the operation as it is now.. The '92 vice '94 now puts it even in a different generation of Accords; a tcm from a 4 year newer vehicle just isn't designed/programmed to work with your tranny. Found a '92 remann'ed tcm online for $199.99. Of course, replacing the tcm at all is based on the original mechanic's diagnosis.