94 Prizm - rough running when cold

Old 11-29-11, 06:29 AM
94 Prizm - rough running when cold

1.6, automatic, 180k - Seems fine once engine gets to temperature. Just had thermostat changed (stuck open for don't know how long - youngest son drives it and it just got cold enough around here to notice) so maybe it's fouled plugs? Any other suggestions before I start taking things apart?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-11, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator
I would think most likely you have a bad coolant temperature sensor. The one that tells the computer the engine is cold or warm...not the one for the gauge or idiot light on the dash.

Doubt it's plugs since it runs fine when warmed up.

Sensor is about $21. Not sure if there is a way to test it or not. Probably if you had a multimeter you could see what it's doing.

Old 12-04-11, 06:38 AM
Bravo - just like you said - tested bad, replaced it, all is good
Thanks

Old 12-04-11, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
Glad to help. Have to give the credit to all the other contributors here. I only came up with that from reading all the advice given to other people with a similar problem.

Old 01-28-12, 05:10 AM
It's back and stuck wires now

Argh - Now that cold weather is here every day ( and wet most days also) - problem is back. Guess it never really went away? Next step seems to be plugs and wires - #1 wire is cracked and its been 30-40 k since they've been replaced anyway.

Started to pull the #1 wire and plug to look yesterday, but seems 'stuck' on the plug. Didn't have a new set yet so I stopped. Any tricks to getting the wire off?

Old 01-28-12, 05:17 AM
Group Moderator
Those are the ones that run down the center of the valve cover I believe? Twist and pull is about all you can do since you can't really reach the actual contact between the rubber on the end of the wire and the plug. On the more traditional plugs, where the wire end and plug are visible, you could use the special pliers to grip the boot to get better leverage. When reinstalling use a bit of plug wire boot grease on the rubber to aid the next removal.

Old 01-28-12, 05:30 AM
The plugs are 'recessed' - the wire has a ~ 3 inch extension that actually attaches to the plug. I see a spark plug wire puller at Autozone - can't tell from the picture but maybe it would get a more proper grip.

Old 01-28-12, 05:38 AM
Group Moderator
Right, if that's the tool I think it is, it's really designed for the exposed boot type of plug setup.

Old 01-28-12, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
Here's what they usually look like: