2000 Pontiac Firebird Heater

Old 11-29-11, 10:04 AM
2000 Pontiac Firebird Heater

Air comes out of vents with or without fan. Unfortunately only cold air. Controls work fine for the A/C and also while in the heat mode. Engine temp normal. Any ideas?? Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-11, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
I am confused that you say you only get cold air out of the vents but then say that it works fine in AC and heat mode.

There are air intake vents at the base of the windshield. Often, the air pressure when driving forces air through the heating system without the fan running. Can you set the temperature to hot and not turn the fan on? Do you get warm/hot air from the vents?

Old 11-29-11, 07:24 PM
If you are able to receive hot, and or cold AC air out of only a lower foot area vent for example, or only out of the defroster vents in another case, and not the face level dash vents it sounds like it could be an air blend door issue. If so it could be a faulty actuator, a link rod that has come off that connects to the actuator, or a broken plastic blend door inside the HVAC unit.

Old 12-02-11, 06:47 AM
Firebird update

As far as air direction, all vents seem to be working properly. There was a lot of crud in radiator and have back-flushed the system. Both lines out of firewall from heater are hot. Friend suggests that there is an electric valve that directs antifreeze flow that could be out of order. Could not find this switch in engine compartment. Any ideas?? Cheers,

Hothouse

Old 12-02-11, 08:58 AM
I guess I am confused now also. Are you getting heat into the vehicle on some air flow settings? Did you also flush out the heater rad separately when you flushed out the main rad?

Old 12-02-11, 12:24 PM
Sorry for the confusion. To answer your question, I do not get hot air on any settings. The air flow is directed properly, however it is outside air temperature or colder if the air con is activated. But to repeat, on heat settings, I do not get heat.

On the back flush question, I installed a back flush kit on the hose that goes into the heater. The crud that then came out, came out of the radiator cap opening.

Another possible symptom which really surprised me, is that the air con compressor goes on when the controls are on defrost to the windshield and the heat setting is on full heat. The air that then comes out of the windshield vent is definetly refrigerated.

Ah what will hapen next.
Cheers,
Hothouse

Old 12-02-11, 04:11 PM
It could be that your heater rad is partially blocked. I would consider flushing out just the heater rad both in the direction of coolant flow and then backflushing it also. There could still be some air in the system also, but if the temp guage is showing normal reading consistently and the system was so well plugged in the past I would start with the heater rad first. The AC I believed is designed to engage in defrost mode to help remove moisture while heat can also be flowing through the HVAC system so I would not be concerned on this point at the moment.

Old 12-04-11, 02:29 PM
Well it looks like the hothouse now has a hot car. Thanks for the tip, Equinox. Disconnecting the heater coil and doing it separately was the right way to go. Thanks again.
Cheers and beers,
Hothouse