Stalling problem

Old 12-02-11, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stalling problem

I have a 1969 Dodge truck with a 318 V8 2bbl engine. Have had performance issues for awhile, and corrected most of it when I replaced the entire fuel tank and fuel lines. But I still have one problem. It runs pretty good for a couple of hours, but if the temps outside are over 80 degrees, after awhile it suddenly starts stalling when the throttle is anywhere between nothing and WOT. It still idles fine and will immediatley smooth out and accell great when the throttle is fully open. But anywhere in between, and it sputters and tries to stall. I can pump the throttle and it will regain for a moment, but then start stalling again. I feel this is still a fuel related problem, and am thinking I am having a vapor lock issue. Any ideas out there. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-11, 05:40 PM
The fact it does it at higher temps would make vapor lock come to mind. But when you say it does ok at wide open throttle that dont match up. Have you rebuilt the carb? 318s were famous for carbon pluging the heat passage in the intake but this usually caused problems when cold. Vapor lock occurs between the pump and tank,you might look around for a line too close to the ex.

Old 12-03-11, 09:40 AM
Have not done anything with the carb yet. Was hoping it might be something easier to fix. Fuel lines are clear of the exhaust. I would agree that the carb seems like the likely cause, but I am confused by the sudden onset after it has been running fine. And after it sits abit, it is fine again for awhile. What about the float? Thinking maybe the float is sticking once it gets hot?

Old 12-04-11, 02:18 PM
It sounds like it is time to overhaul the carb or replace it. I wonder if they still sell rebuild kits for those. If so, it is pretty easy to do as a DIY. I remember some Mopar carbs did have common float problems but those were ones with plastic floats that eventually absorbed fuel into the plastic itself and then became heavy, though needle and seats can always wear, or become partially blocked with debris. I had a Thermo Quad that the plastic float once did that on me and became too heavy. It took me forever to figure out the problem as the float itself was not leaking, only absorbing. Once warm the car tended to flood out.
In your case however it could be a bad accelerator pump on the carb for instance, not injecting enough of that initial squirt of fuel into the body at the same time as the butterfly opens up, or also as Wrench mentions about carbon buildup in the heat passage.

Old 12-05-11, 08:49 AM
A blast from the past.. Everyone had an egg scale to check the floats to see if they had soaked up fuel.

Old 12-07-11, 02:58 PM
The other responses are good, but one other thing I've found, especially on Carter carbs is, if the vehicle has sat for a length of time, some white corrosion sometimes forms in the float bowl and especially in the float needle passages. It can flake off a tiny bit at a time and get into the float needle/seat area. just a thought.