1990 Accord Check Engine Light Intermittent Malfunction

Old 12-02-11, 10:49 AM
1990 Accord Check Engine Light Intermittent Malfunction

1990 Honda Accord LX, AT, 4Dr, 221990 miles. I drove my car to have smog check two days ago (45 minutes drive from home to work, then 10 minutes rest, then 10 minutes drive from work to smog check). When I get to smog check and stop car, my check engine light wasn't on right after key turns to "I" position. According to user's manual, CEL will turn on 2-3 seconds. Therefore, it failed smog check. However, on my way home at night after about 7 hours of car rest, CEL works normal after I turned key to "I". It also works after 45 minutes drive to home. It works fine yesterday morning before driving to work. It also works after 45 minutes drived. Car rest for about 30 minutes and CEL light works normal before driving to have smog check again. However, the problem happened again at smog check station. The guy went ahead to have smog check and the light works again after testing about 15 minutes. But it didn't work again before my way home last night after 7 hours car rest and after I arrived home. It works fine again this morning. The problem happens not only when car is hot, but also when car is cold. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-11, 04:14 PM
sounds ligke a computer problem

i have one for sale on cl,sacramento,however you must see if you have code 43 or not first a better site for you to get used to is Honda | Acura Research, Reviews, Performance Parts, Owners - Honda-Tech.com a lot of people on there will tell you just replace the computer or relay which i did too, but later i found out the ones i took out were fine and it was just as simple as an o2 sensor

try that forum website out first.

you can get the cel code by putting a paper clip in the blue connector next to your computer while the car is on and find out what is going on also if your smog paper is high in hydrocarbons your likely culprit is a clogged catalytic converter/bad o2

Old 12-11-11, 05:07 PM
Old 12-19-11, 02:42 PM
The CEL is solid on without flashing when I put paper clip in the blue connector. I don't see hydrocarbons item in my smog paper. Sometimes the battery light isn't on when turn key to 'II' position without starting engine, but sometimes it does. It is just like CEL. It is still a myster to me.

Old 12-23-13, 05:49 PM
The CEL code has one short flash and it is Oxygen sensor #1. Doesn't anyone know where is this O2 sensor?

Old 12-23-13, 06:37 PM
It's right in exhaust manifold collector.
You know you need to buy a manual for that car? Or, at least, visit a library?

Old 12-27-13, 01:22 PM
Thanks for your replied! Yes, I do have a Haynes Repair manual. I am not sure how many Oxygen sensors in my car and which one is #1. Can a malfunction Oxygen sensor cause Check Engine Light won't turn on when first turn ignition key to on position?

Old 12-27-13, 08:07 PM
tell me does your radio always work? or does it act up the same way? from what i have herd it sound like you need an ignition switch. as they get old they get bad contacts and wont power up everything correctly. can even cause it to stall. next time it acts up try wiggling the key and see if it affects your issues.

Old 12-30-13, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! Other than Check Engine Light issue I described before, everything works as normal. Radio and others always works. The last time I changed ignition switch (original) was on 10/25/2008 with 191K miles in the car. I used after market part and it only has 5 years 2 months and 52K miles on this ignition switch so far. Any other suggestions?

Old 12-30-13, 07:51 PM
ok just a long shot. there are two grounds on the intake manifold. locate them, remove bolt and clean area, reinstall. once and only once i have seen these grounds cause the engine light not to come on. still dont know why.

Old 01-03-14, 11:28 AM
I only found three grounds which connects together. One goes to engine block, one goes to power steering, and one goes to car body. I cleaned them and still have this problem. I can't find two grounds you mentioned on the intake manifold.

Old 01-03-14, 07:55 PM
they should be located near the throttle body. they come from the harness.