will this rear end fit my car?

Old 12-11-11, 06:21 PM
will this rear end fit my car?

Hello everyone,
Does anyone know if a 10 bolt 3.73 posi traction rear from a 1996 Camaro will directly fit into a 1969 Camaro? Currently I have a 2.73 with drum brakes in the 1969 Camaro and have found this 3.73 online but the disc calipers are missing. I guess what I am wondering is 1) will it directly fit and 2) is so, would I just have to find some calipers and bolt it right in?
I can't directly measure anything, my 1969 is stored states away and the 1996 rearend I found online...any help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-11, 03:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
sorry I have no idea about it

Old 12-12-11, 03:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Others will chime in with the technical data as to whether or not it will fit, but I doubt you really want to jump from a .273 to a .373 rear end. Your gas mileage will drop dramatically, and you will probably red line at 70 mph. Good rear end for "red light to red light" racing, but I wouldn't do it.

Old 12-12-11, 08:44 AM
I would not waste my time with a 10 bolt they are not a good rear end unless you are just driving to church. Look for a 12 bolt.

Old 12-12-11, 09:23 AM
hey folks, thanks so far.
if this were my daily driver i would probably keep the 2.73 for the gas mileage but this is supposed to be a fun car to drive. right now it has no power and can't get out of its own way due to this rear end. it has a 350 cid motor, th350 trans with a shift kit and this stupid rear end. right now it has no power and gets no where its power band much less red line due to this.
retired - for normal usage what is the harm in the 10 bolt? if my 2.73 carrier would accept it i would just swap gears but as i understand it you need a 3.08 or higher carrier to take the higher gears.
again i ask, is this a direct bolt in as far as the rear and what issues will i have with the calipers?

Old 12-12-11, 01:31 PM
I would check on line, and see if you can find a Camaro club, they would most like be able to help you.

Old 12-12-11, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Most any junk yard could tell you....but I highly doubt it will fit. 27 yrs between the models. Simple check might be doing some research at Autozone.com and see if u-joints and shocks are the same. Not that that is a fer sure indicator.

Old 12-14-11, 07:50 AM
Do a little searching with after market gear companys, I think they make different gear sets that will go in the small case.

Old 12-14-11, 09:49 AM
Maybe I am wrong, but back when these 'lump wagons' were new I can remember a few guys that had changed the rear end gear ratio without changing the diff and axle, some to as low as to 4:11. Back then mileage, top end, and high revving in 4th didn't seem to matter. I am also sure that Wrench is right on this, and something still could be available as they were before. Back then the big issues were getting tire grip and stopping...ok lighting them up was fun, so maybe it was just about stopping.

Old 12-14-11, 01:48 PM
I have been thinking about your question. That is a big difference in years. And I have been thinking, that the car you have, and the rear you are thinking about using, may bolt up. But I believe the rear end may not be the same width. It may only be a inch or so, but enough to make the tires rub.

Old 12-15-11, 08:11 AM
Go over to fullsizechevy.com those kids are always inbreeding something and can tell you every bolt to change.