2007 Toyota Corolla License Plate Bulb

Old 12-15-11, 06:00 PM
2007 Toyota Corolla License Plate Bulb

I got stopped by a State Trooper the other night who told me my license plate bulb was kaput. I looked in my owner's manual, it warned me not to attempt to replace it myself. I have a repair manual on my hard drive that told me I'd have to remove the trunk lock cylinder and the trunk garnish - and that involved applying heat and white gasoline! To replace a light bulb? Is it really that involved or are they just trying to send business to their dealerships?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-11, 04:40 AM
Group Moderator
That sounds like an incredibly bad engineering design if true. I went out and took a quick at my daughter's Corolla (much older, a '95) and her tag light holders pop right out of the underside of the bumper above the tag. I could literally change one of her bulbs in under a minute. Hopefully a newer model owner will chime in here, I'm curious to hear the answer myself (unless I happen to tow one soon and can browse the setup in person).

Old 12-16-11, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
Found this on youtube after my post; it's for a Camry, but one of the comments states Corolla is the same:

How To Change Your License Plates Lights Toyota Camry 2007 Generation 6 - YouTube

Note that he doesn't know "clockwise" from "counterclockwise".

Old 12-16-11, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Or what kind of screwdriver he has..... "a flat screw head driver".

Old 12-16-11, 08:30 PM
The_tow_guy,
That sounds like an incredibly bad engineering design if true
It wouldn't be the first bad engineering design. What about the Vega, you had to remove the engine, to change the cam, or cut a hole in the fire wall. Or the Mustang, with the big motors. You needed to raise the motor, to change the plugs, or cut hole in the inner fender well. That wouldn't be to bad today, spark plugs last a heck of a lot longer then they use to.

Old 12-16-11, 08:59 PM
Never seen bad design from Toyota, and from at least the Camry example, the bulb change is not much different than alot of car tail lights where you need to pull back the trim cover and then apply a simple twist. From my experience, design is always a compromise and balance between styling decisions, ease of assembly for the line, durability and relilability, after market repair, and of course product cost. Toyota from my experience always weights their engineering toward durability and assembly ease on the line to ensure customer quality which is their key strength. Styling is not and never was. With the advent now of LED coming into the mainstream market, service replacement will soon become as rare for most vehicle lamps as the need to replace spark plugs is already.

Old 12-17-11, 03:22 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks, 'nox, for the backup. My post should have said "....bad engineering design for a Toyota...". No question across the board the auto engineers are capable of some real insanity. I sometimes comment that the engineer trainees are first assigned to design oem car jacks.

Old 12-18-11, 09:40 AM
Whenever I have seen bad styling, or poor product and component design it was not because of some poor junior employee hacking out his best effort, but because of the work culture, powerful and controlling office politics, and or various poorly aligned goals being forced on them often by people that wouldn't know a lug nut from a piston and never had even turned a wrench. That has never been the Toyota scenario, but does explain how the many POS vehicles dumped into the public in the past from some other makers were born. I once set in on a meeting that was about a proposal to not even provide car jacks or spares of any kind on a product. I guess the rocket scientists behind that gem never had a flat tire and were focused only on vehicle weight and cost and getting themselves promoted. Now that would have been a good business boost for the tow business wouldn't it?

Old 12-18-11, 12:50 PM
equinox,
Some of the jacks and spares I have seen over the years might as well not been there. That so called lug wrench that comes with most cars, is all but useless for removing lug nuts.

Old 12-18-11, 02:04 PM
I completely agree and the reasons for this are what I already mentioned. How can anyone release and re- torque a lug nut to 90 Ft lbs. with a short L shaped toy wrench that is provided these days but a least there is some kind of wheel/tire available to mount and drive to a service location if you can get the flat off. One makers thinking was that instead of a spare and jack, customers would pay by the month additionally for the satellite emergency road service instead.

Old 12-18-11, 07:59 PM
equinox,
I can see the car makes not wanting to put a jack and spare tire in there cars. That could end up saving them thousands of dollars, not mention jobs lost for the people that put them in the cars.
As for the road service, when I started loosen use of my arm, I signed up for it. It is a good peace of mine to have.

Old 10-26-13, 10:56 AM
Incorrect information

I know this thread is 2 years old, but it is still popping up in a Google search and the information presented is incorrect. I felt compelled to offer the correct information so other readers of this thread would not be frustrated.

The following procedure is for replacing a 2007 Corolla license plate bulb. The cover inside the trunk lid must be removed. This exposes the emergency trunk lid release mechanism. The release rod must be removed from the release arm. Then the trunk lid release mechanism must be removed. This exposes the license plate bulb holders.

Old 10-26-13, 11:57 AM
Thanks, Mikey !! ..........

Old 01-08-15, 08:08 PM
Easy

Not true! It is freezing here, so I had to be quick about changing the lights in our 2007 Corolla. I didn't even have to remove the the entire cover, let alone mess with anything else. I just opened enough of the cover to expose the lights, then unplugged them, turn lights counter clockwise & pull out & replace. My husband will be thrilled when he wakes up to go to work at 5 am. Car X wanted to charge him $16 per light, it took me less than 5 minutes.