92 sunbird overheating problem

Old 12-19-11, 08:41 PM
Question 92 sunbird overheating problem

I have a 92 sunbird and it overheats. I replaced the thermostat and replaced the head gasket. But still it overheats!! Do I need a new engine? Please help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-11, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
Moved you to a fresh thread.

Old 12-20-11, 04:44 AM
Group Moderator
There are a number of things that could contribute to overheating in addition to what you've listed. Here's a short list; the rest of the gang will probably add things I forget:

1. When you did the head gasket, did you have the head checked at a machine shop for cracks and warpage?
2. Could be a coolant circulation issue; water pump, radiator, or even a worn hose that is collapsing and causing a flow restriction.
3. Non-engine issues: dragging brake(s) or a transmission issue - the transmission cooler is in the radiator, so if the tranny is running hot it can cause engine coolant overheating.

Old 12-20-11, 09:03 PM
After she warms up..are you Rad. hoses hot or cold..how about your heater hoses are they getting hot? you could have a clog somewhere or bad water pump. Also is your cooling(Rad.) fan turning on? If you just hace one fan an easy way to check it is if your A/C works just turn it on..when you turn on your A/C it automaticly turns on your fan..If it turns on then you atleast know the fan is good and works.