2000 Buick Lesabre Limited Fuel Gauge

Old 01-08-12, 11:42 PM
Question 2000 Buick Lesabre Limited Fuel Gauge

When vehicle is first started the fuel gauge registers what only I can only presume is the correct fuel amount but as you start to drive the gauge goes to full then back to three quarters or half a tank. What needs to be replaced?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-12, 12:27 PM
reply from 2001 Buick LeSabre owner

I have the next year edition of this car and the fuel guage indicator acts even more strangely... Fill the car up - completely full and the guage needle goes all the way to FULL and immediately drops to EMPTY. After driving through a tank of gas, about 350 miles, the fuel guage needle pops-up all the way to FULL until you get down to the last gallon and a half - then it drops to EMPTY and the Low Fuel warning bell dings 3 times.

Basically, I was told there's a Fuel Level Sending unit in the gas tank that needs replaced. Must've been a bad design from the get-go or exposed too much movement on the cable holding the unit in the gas following the gas level in the tank. Given the age of our car we decided just to keep track of the mileage - knowing that when the tripometer gets around 300-350 miles on one tank, we stop, get gas and reset the tripometer.
I don't think there's an easy access panel on the trunk floor to get to the gas tank to replace these things either.

greynold99

Old 01-17-12, 06:02 PM
fuel tank sending unit. Ihave same havoc in my 2000 Silverado. Fill him up, goes to empty, then jumps around, then slowly creeps up to the correct level after midtank. I simply pay no attention to it, as I have to pull truck bed off to replace it. In pass cars, fuel pump+sending unit is normally right underneath the rear seat cushion.

Old 01-20-12, 10:48 AM
reply to ukrbyk

I had never noticed an access panel underneath the rear seat but I'll give it a look. Underneath my rear-seat is where the battery is located and they made it easy to get to.

I've read your posts before and know that you have a lot of experience. Do you have an idea of how much this would cost to replace if easily accessible, and it it's a DIY project?
Thanks,
Gary

Old 01-21-12, 05:49 PM
why? simply go to a local library, pull Chilton for the make and year, and locate sending unit. If it's indeed beneath the rear seat cushion, where they normally are, as that's where tank normally is, simply pull cushion out and voila - you have straight access to pump and sending unit. just don't smoke when you do the job.
you mean - you battery is behind the rear seat backrest, not underneath seat cushion? THat would have been one dumm place to put battery.