1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager fuel problem

Old 01-10-12, 01:12 PM
1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager fuel problem

She was sitting for over a year with a dead battery, and in the Pacific Northwest we get a lot of rain. She will fire and run for a bit if I put fuel directly into the air intake, but only until it runs dry then dies out. I assume it has water built up in the fuel system. What is the best way to drain the tank? Can I attach a siphon hose to the tube at the inlet of the fuel filter and manually drain it or do I have to jumper the fuel pump to do it? Or do I have to drop the entire tank?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-12, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
Unless there's a drain plug, really the only way to be absolutely sure would be to drop the tank. If you jumper the pump relay you run the risk of burning up the pump when the tank gets near empty, plus there will be some residual fuel in the tank. Siphoning there would likely be even more residual. Are you sure the pump is even running/getting up to pressure?

Old 01-10-12, 01:45 PM
I can hear it hum when I turn the key but I haven't pulled a port to double check. I believe it is ported and not throttle body as I can't see an inlet on the throttle body assembly itself but do see individual port lines to the cylinders. Don't have a Haynes on it and am using an online Chiltons from the local library but it doesn't show many pictures and gives a very general description of "if it isn't this then it's that" type.

She ran just fine before I parked it. Unfortunately the kids were playing in it and killed the battery and I just never got around to replacing it until yesterday.

Old 01-10-12, 02:07 PM
Well, seems I probably would have jumped the gun a bit. I put some Heat in it yesterday, worked on it a bit today, and just now went out to try to start it one more time before giving up for the day.

Guess good things come to those who wait, she fired up and is running like a champ. Time to put some good gas in it and hit the local Napa for a new fuel filter just to be safe!

Old 01-11-12, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
Just had to pump some fuel through the system maybe. Probably wouldn't hurt to hit it with some Seafoam.