1996 Ford Ranger - Rhythmic Knocking noise

Old 01-23-12, 04:25 PM
1996 Ford Ranger - Rhythmic Knocking noise

I have a 1996 2.3 lit Ford Ranger. I get a rhythmic noise I think is coming from right front well that speeds up as the speed of the vehicle increases. However, it stops completely when the brakes are applied, and starts back as soon as released. Seems to be getting louder with time. Any guesses. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-12, 07:47 PM
Could easily be worn out brake pads and what you are hearing is the wear indicator rubbing against the rotor. Brake pressure generally does stop this kind of warning noise also. Did you check your pads for wear condition? That is what it sounds like to me at this point.

Old 01-24-12, 05:45 AM
This is not a brake pad warning, much to intense.

Old 01-24-12, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
Then you let them wear down to the rivits. Knocking turns into grinding.

Hey why not pull the wheel for your own saftey...????

Mike NJ

Old 01-24-12, 11:53 AM
he-he. re-check wheel lug nuts and re-tighten as necessary. not saing THAT is the issue, but I had very very similar noise before because of that.
wear indicators don't knock. y'all know that.
you also have those goofy metal wheel hub caps, right? ones that snap onto the lug nuts? digging what I'm rapping you?

Old 01-24-12, 10:19 PM
Did you check the suspension? Worn control arm bushings or ball joints loose? Is the knocking noise constant or depending on road surface? I know you are discounting the brakes as a possible cause, but you didn't mention if you actually checked and confirmed that this cause could also be eliminated.

Old 01-25-12, 01:38 AM
I checked the lugs nuts, and the noise is mostly constant on all surface. I have not had the brakes or suspension checked yet. However was relatively warm today and looked under the truck and noted a large indention in the inside sidewall of the front right tire. I think that may be the issue.

Old 01-25-12, 08:03 PM
sounds like your tire well kissed a rock, or something. needs further inspection.