Electronic Keyless Entry

Old 02-11-12, 08:38 PM
Electronic Keyless Entry

I have a 1999 Olds Delta 88 Regency that has two sets of electronic key fobs with a set of keys for each. The ignition key has a chip in it (probably for anti theft purposes) The loss of one of the sets precipitated the purchase of a new set of keys and a new electronic fob from the local dealer. I The lost set was found in the meantime, but I told the dealer that I would just have a third set. He informed me that he could not program a third fob as the system would only allow two to be active. This doesn't make any sense to me, but and I would like a second opinion, as a number of people use this car, and lost keys and fobs are expensive in the first place, and the time required to reprogram them when one gets lost is a big pain. The dealer also said that the third set of keys would probably not work either, (that the car would start and then shut down after a few seconds. The car is in another location, and I have not had the opp to try the new set of keys, but I will.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-12, 12:22 AM
Not sure exactly about your car as GM has used more than one security system, but I know that some of them like Passkey 3 allow up to ten keys so I also assume 10 fobs. I would call another dealer as fobs I think can also be self programmed following a procedure with the door lock switch.