Toyota Camry 2003 3.0 L V6

Old 02-13-12, 03:53 PM
Toyota Camry 2003 3.0 L V6

Recently we had a check engine sign and few other minor things so I took the car to dealer here is what he said
1. We need to replace Front Catalytic Converter and Oxygen Sensor $895.00
2. Front brake pads and Rotor - $515
3. Rear Brake pads and Rotor - $545

My question - Is this real and they are not telling me how much will be parts and how much will be really the labor.
Can someone suggest me something or should I just try somewhere else to replace this parts?
Please advise

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-12, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
You didn't mention how many miles on the car, but......

Over a thousand bucks to do a four wheel brake job??? I need to park my wrecker and start doing brake jobs if people actually pay that kind of extortion. Aftermarket cat converter runs probably $300, another hundred bucks for the O2 sensor; $500 labor to do a front cat & an O2 sensor??? Of course, you have to understand that they will be using GENUINE Toyota part$, so that probably doubles the cost of just the parts plus the Genuine Toyota trained mechanics to install everything, plus you have to pay your part of the overhead for the espresso machine and big screen TV in the waiting room.

Even if you insist on putting genuine Toyota parts on your 9 year old Camry, I suspect you can get all this work done (assuming it all needs to be done) at a good independent garage for a lot less. Ask friends and family if anyone knows a good local owner-operated garage or you can call a couple of independent towing companies and ask for a referral; I recently did that when our daughter moved across state and I wanted to know a good mechanic just in case the need arises.

Pretty easy to figure out the breakdown. Call a Toyota dealer parts department and ask for the prices on the parts; they'll tell you. The rest is labor and profit.

Can also find out pretty easy online:

Genuine Toyota Parts at Discount - OEM Toyota Replacement Parts

Old 02-13-12, 04:30 PM
Here's atip that worked on my 2002 camry with the CEL. Go to auto parts place and get a can of Seafoam. Add it next time you fill up. Within 1/2 tank my CEL was gone.

Old 02-14-12, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator
Find an independent shop that specializes in imports. They have them almost everywhere now.

The brake pricing is crazy. It's maybe an hour per end for a good mechanic (though many may use "book rate" which will prob run higher). I was quoted $450 by a national brake shop for front brakes on my Mazda...found a small independent that did it for $245. New, quality, aftermarket pads and rotors that ran about $140 and it was done 1 1/2 hrs after I dropped it off.

Old 02-14-12, 06:25 AM
Sorry. Mileage on the Car is 133K. And I am planning to at least go upto 225K on this car. Thanks for the advise. I think we have good independent mechanics and will try them...

Old 02-14-12, 08:10 AM
Group Moderator
I didn't do a complete pricing on parts & labor, but just off the top of my head I think you can save 50% on those repairs at a decent independent garage using good aftermarket parts.

Before they start I would definitely have them rescan and troubleshoot the check engine; a good shop would do that anyway before diving right in and changing the O2 and cat.