2000 dodge ram 1500 van

Old 02-23-12, 06:36 AM
2000 dodge ram 1500 van

i have a dodge that runs fine until it gets warmed up, then it spits and sputers and has no power.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-12, 09:49 AM
Group Moderator
How is all your routine maintenance? Everything up to date? There's a couple of other threads running with somewhat similar problems. For starters, have it scanned to see if any codes are stored; Auto Zone and some others will read codes for free. Temp sensor for the computer (not the one for the gauge), is one possiblity.

Old 02-23-12, 12:26 PM
thank you tow guy, ill take it to auto zone and have it scanned, i just got this van and about the only thing ive had done is a oil change.
also it has about 95.000 miles on it, when i opend the hood i could tell that it had been sitting for awhile, there was oxidation on the water pump and altanator.

Old 02-23-12, 02:21 PM
Group Moderator
Fresh gas?

Old 02-24-12, 02:55 AM
OK!!!!
ok heres the whole story,i traded a car for this van , when i test drove the van it ran fine, the when i was on my why home it started acting up.
so i put some dry gas in it and som,e carb cleaner, and it ran fine the rest of the way home,
the next day after it got warmed up it started doing the same thing, so i put some hi test in and ran it 90miles an hour down the highway.
it ran fine ,but the day after it started doing the same thing its almost like its runing on one or two c's but if i put it in park and ruve the motor and put it in drive it well run fine for awhile, then it startes doing the same thing.

Old 02-24-12, 11:20 AM
Check and if not recently done, replace plugs first, but make sure you replace with correct # Champion spark plugs. Every parts place and a lot of mechanics as well will tell you it doesn't matter, but it does. Been there, done that, seen it, and there is some Chrysler products that just will not run correct without Champion plugs. If wires look old, replace them too, or try plugs first, but be prepared to replace wires as well. Had a Dodge do same thing, but as long as I dumped gasline antifreeze in, it would run fine. Once I ran straight gas, it started to spit and sputter again. When I went to inspect plugs, some of the plug wires basically pulled apart in my hands, they were done. Replaced plugs and wires and all was good.

Old 02-26-12, 07:02 AM
OK!!!!!
so i toke the van to auto zone and had it checked for codes, and heres what they found heated 02 senor bank 1 high voltage.
so im wondering what would happen if i just un- pluged it?

Old 02-26-12, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Hmmm, interesting question; I'm not sure it would run. At any rate there's no way it would run like it's supposed to. The sensor problem is probably making the engine run either way too rich or way too lean causing the spitting/sputtering/no power.