99 Buick Century Code P0481 "Cooling Fan 2 Control Circuit Malfunction"

Old 02-23-12, 05:27 PM
99 Buick Century Code P0481 "Cooling Fan 2 Control Circuit Malfunction"

Check engine light came on, code P0481. I changed both radiator fan relays and cleared the codes but it came back within the hour. Car is not overheating but since it's winter in the northeast that's no indication that the fans are working correctly. If I turn on the A/C, both fans come on.... What should I check next??

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-12, 08:18 AM
Dougwa,

I don't think this will help you too much but I have a 1998 Buick Century which had almost the same problem a couple of years ago. On mine one of the fans still didn't work after I changed both relays. I couldn't figure it out and ended up dropping it off to the mechanic. He checked it out and from what I recall he said the way the wires are run it wore through the insulation and was causing it to read as a bad relay. Note: At the time I was also having a on and off the security system light coming every so often which I was told after changing the keys that it was the lock cyl and I would need a new. But after he repaired the wires both things never happen again. I remember him saying that he had seen it before on the Buick's but I am sorry I don't know remember what part of the body or frame the rubbing of the wires happened. It seems to me that it was more on the pass. side of the vehicle somewhere around the battery box area, but I can't remember for sure. You might have to even take the battery out in order to trace the wires back to fuse box. Good Luck.