96 nissan altima

Old 02-24-12, 05:47 PM
96 nissan altima

Hello, I have a 96 nissan altima, 4 cylinders, I was driving it and a couple of blocks after it turned off by itself, I tried to turn it on again and it did, but as soon as i press the gas pedal it turns off again, it was less than a year that I changed spark plugs, wires, new gasoline filter... any ideas or suggestions?..

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-12, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
There are a number of things that could cause that; defective throttle position sensor possibly. At the very least, you are probably going to need to have it scanned for codes to see if you can find a starting point for the troubleshooting. If you're dead in the water, you're probably going to have to get it towed to a garage to be checked unless you have a scanner/code reader.

Old 02-26-12, 03:51 PM
can you scan it even if you don't have the check engine light on?

Old 02-26-12, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
With a better scanner like shops have, yes. Not with a $50 WalMart special. The good ones will scan everything in real time...not just stored codes that might turn the CEL on. And trying to take it to a place like Autozone probably won't do it either...since they don't do troubleshooting.

Old 02-26-12, 04:08 PM
well, he can rent a scanner for free and read codes. On site. It's very easy to do on a 96 vehicle with OBD 2 port. I have personally witnessed no CEL yet codes stored on my vehicles.
Knowing Japanese, and the year, and their tendency to all follow same philosophy, there's likely a main relay somewhere, that can easily cause it. Also, ignition lock can do same. I'd still read codes first.
Of course, it goes towards owner aptitude with repairs. If all services were always done by a shop, then sure, tow it there and let them have it.

Old 02-26-12, 04:11 PM
I used to do just that - tow car to a shop, with appointment set up, let them scan it, but call me before any repairs, read what they found, sometimes - ask to point at the part to be replaced - pay $60 or so computerized diagnostics, tow it back home, and replace myself.

Old 02-26-12, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
Rent a scanner? I didn't know anyone did that.

Old 02-26-12, 04:20 PM
go to O'Riley's or Autozone, Advanced prolly is same way. Place deposit, rent scanner, and they normally have fair ones, do what you need to do, bring it back, have your deposit back.
Am I the only DIY here? Common knowledge.

Old 02-26-12, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
Well...exxxxcuse me.....lol.

I knew they rented/loaned specialized tools like pullers, big sockets, etc....I just didn't know they did it for scanners. Matter of fact...Autozone doesn't mention it on their site at all. The other tools, yes, but not a scanner. Of course they also don't mention anything about code reading.

Old 02-26-12, 08:42 PM
he-he... yeah, I witnessed folks renting scanners. I have my own.

Old 02-27-12, 04:05 AM
Basics.......Scan, check for stored codes, Fuel pressure /volume check (Customer states engine stall when gas pedal applied)..........and here's a good one.......You did the plugs (NGK/Nippondenso I hope) If this vehicle has a distributor, pull the cap and see if it's loaded with oil