1991 Mercury Sable, my first car!

Old 02-26-12, 07:44 PM
1991 Mercury Sable, my first car!

So. we moved to washington state from North Dakota. and i don't know who has owned the car or the history of this car at all...
I'm only 18 so i'm kinda a brain dead girl when it comes to cars. i know a little more then the average girl, so maybe i have a head start?
BUT the problem/questions is the engine sounds REALLY loud, my friend says that would be from a whole in the muffler, how would i check that??
second. brakes are pretty much GONE! i touch the floor just to "slow down" and to "slow down" a TINNY bit faster, i put full force to the break.... uhm, what would cause that? and how can i fix that?!

Thank you, so much for ur answers.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-12, 08:37 PM
1. on point 1, I had 87 Taurus that had several large cracks in exhaust manifold. Sounded like machine gun. It's Midas job if it's muffler. If it's exhaust, it's a pro shop job.
2. where at in WA? I could take a look at your car brakes Saturday, I live in WA. free.

Old 02-26-12, 08:46 PM
I would say it sounds like the mix of a diesel engine and a monster truck! but i will have a pro look at it if that is best lol
and Richland/Tri-cities

Old 02-27-12, 04:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you checked the brake fluid? Are there any scraping/grinding noises when you apply the brake? Fixing the brakes needs to be your first priority!

The exhaust manifold is under the hood. If you can jack up the car you can inspect the exhaust system. Be sure to use jack stands if you get under the vehicle!

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 02-27-12, 06:26 AM
Yes, checked the brake fluid, my dad suggested that was the problem. and i'm not driving the car at the moment until i do get the breaks fixed. And no scrapping sounds either!

and thanks you! i hope i can get this car fixed.

Old 02-27-12, 03:19 PM
Having the car checked thoroughly is task #1...........Doing brakes on a 21 year old car before you make sure the engine/trans are sound might be putting $$$$$$ down a sewer.....Get an overall view then sit and reason whether the investment is sound or another vehicle is in order

Old 02-27-12, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
How many miles on the car and do you know which engine it has? Choices would be 3.0 liter or 3.8 liter. Along the lines of Wrench's post; that vintage of Taurus/Sable were notorious for premature tranny failures (as few as 40,000 miles), all models, and the ones with the 3.8 liter motor were bad for blowing head gaskets. Apologies for having to raise those possibilities.

Old 02-27-12, 06:39 PM
Thanks guys, so much. i filled up the break fluid about a month ago. and i just checked it and by what i could tell it was empty, so that worried me and i checked everything else. oil is good, radiator is not! The car was in the repare shop to fix the door and the gasket and thermostat were also replaced. The engine is a V6 3.8 engine. and with all the fluids seeming to be "gone" of the ones that i know of. I think i'm going to talk to my dad about having it looked at. But, i just thought of this. I have guy friends that work on their own trucks and what nots... would it be easier to have them look instead and help me??

Old 02-28-12, 04:25 AM
Group Moderator
Wouldn't hurt as long as they are knowledgeable. Hard to judge that sometimes; a lot of folks who are otherwise all thumbs can talk a good game. DIY car tinkering is somewhat a dying art due to the increasingly complex systems.