98 Toyota Land Cruiser - Brakes Grinding & Locking Up

Old 02-27-12, 03:30 PM
98 Toyota Land Cruiser - Brakes Grinding & Locking Up

Hello -

A week ago, I replaced the brake pads on the 2 front wheels on my Land Cruiser. Today, I was driving and taking an interstate exit when I started applying the brakes. When I did, there was heavy grinding as well as the wheel seemingly locking up.

This happened at all speeds, but seemingly not in reverse. Without taking it apart, I didn't see anything wrong. I had to use my emergency brake only to get where I was going.

Any suggestions on what it may be? Someone suggested a sensor may be messed up due to not bleeding the brakes last week and may be off balanced, but doesn't sound right to me

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-12, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
No reason to bleed the brakes if all you did was pads. Is there any damage to the rotors? Sounds like maybe a locked up caliper.

Old 02-27-12, 05:12 PM
Well, I had planned to change a rotor too, but didn't have the proper tools. Didn't find that out until after I had the caliper completely off, though.

Lost some fluid, but had the line clamped. Filled the fluid back up, but sure there's air in it. Worked fine for a week though. Weird how it seems the brake on that wheel seems either on or off - not gradual. It has banging noises, too.

Old 02-28-12, 08:16 PM

This happened at all speeds, but seemingly not in reverse.

hmmm.... pads sitting crooked on guides? at least, one? did you lubricate pads seats and caliper pins? was caliper sliding back and forth from hand easily?

Old 02-29-12, 04:19 AM
Group Moderator
Maybe I'm a little thick this morning, but two questions leaped to mind: Why would you lose any fluid during a pad change and why would you need to clamp off the hose? it's a closed system unless you have a leak or loosen fittings.

Old 02-29-12, 08:20 AM
I think he removed brake hose from caliper when changing the pads.

Old 03-05-12, 08:23 AM
Had one act like this one time and a rock had gotten lodged by the pads.