Serp Belt - R& R SERP BELT - OPERATION; ELT CRACKING

Old 02-29-12, 01:32 PM
Serp Belt - R& R SERP BELT - OPERATION; ELT CRACKING

Hi:
Toyota Collora, '99 with low mileage (a bit more than 100,000 mileages)

When I brought the car to the shop for repairing one of broken handles inside, the mechanic wrote down other problems,one of which is;
"SERP BELT - R & SERP BELT - OPERATION
BELT CRACKING

I should have asked him regarding this, but I was a kind of rush getting back to the work, I didn't ask him about this problem.

Just wonder what's that problem? Is this to be related to the engine or what else to concern about?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-12, 01:56 PM
Group Moderator
Serpentine belt. Fancy name for what was usually called the fan belt. Difference is that on most late model cars one belt runs everything, it goes back and forth from pulley to pulley like a snake. Good item to replace periodically, when it breaks, depending on the make/model, you can lose power steering, a/c, alternator, and engine cooling (water pump) all at the same time. The belt will run probably 50 bucks and generally very little labor involved to change.

Old 02-29-12, 01:58 PM
Group Moderator
Late thought; I'll have to look your year up, my daughter's 94 Corolla uses multiple "v" belts vice a serpentine, must have changed the setup in late 90's.

At 100k miles you might consider replacing the idler and tensioner pulleys at the same time, when they fail they often trash the belt. Not overly expensive and again labor not extensive. Genuine Toy parts not required; lots of good aftermarket replacement parts at considerable savings.

Old 02-29-12, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
The serpentine belt is basically what replaced the fan belt from the old days. It drives most if not all your accessories such as A/C compressor, water pump, alternator, power steering, etc. If it breaks or fails...it can leave you dead in the water very quickly and can damage things under the hood as it gets whipped around.

If there are cracks and chunks missing out of the ribs on the inner side...yes, it should be replaced.

On most cars it's a 10min job...the belt costs about $20-25 in my experience.

Old 02-29-12, 02:13 PM
Group Moderator
Vic's probably right on the $; I was thinking my truck which has a bit bigger belt.

Old 02-29-12, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Well...I was distracted so my reply (that I started before anyone else) was delayed by about 20 min, but a DAYCO belt from AZ shows a $24 price.

Don't let them charge you $100 unless tensioner is replaced as well. Good idea to do that by the way. They are cheap as well....at least the pulley is. The whole assy is about $115. They apparently use a hydraulic unit instead of the typical spring.