2002 Chevy Venture

Old 03-06-12, 03:13 PM
2002 Chevy Venture

ABS light and TRAC OFF light come on as well as a message to SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM. Also the traction control switch doesn't seem to be functioning. This has happened before and it went into the shop. They said it was a bad loom. (whatever that is) They also said I was lucky it wasn't the control module which evidently costs an arm and leg and then some.

Where do I begin or is this strictly a job for a service shop?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-12, 07:29 PM
Sounds like it could be time to have it scanned for OBD2 fault codes. I am thinking that you could have a bad wheel speed sensor, or poor wire connection at the sensor. I think that the ABS and TCS systems share the same speed sensors and if even if one is failing this can happen. Could be other things also but checking for fault codes is the first logical step.

Old 03-07-12, 04:02 AM
I'd go with a wheel sensor.........Almost willing to bet a front one......Any humming from the front (or rear) sounds like you're being chased by an airplane????? Changes noise when turning left or right???

Old 03-07-12, 07:55 AM
I haven't looked yet, but where are the speed sensors? Seems like I was once told they are in the hub. If so, what is invovled in replacing the sensors?

Old 03-07-12, 12:14 PM
wrench47 Quote:
I'd go with a wheel sensor.........Almost willing to bet a front one......Any humming from the front (or rear) sounds like you're being chased by an airplane????? Changes noise when turning left or right???

Yep, front is a good guess because there aren't any sensors on the rear. As for the humming or being chased by an airplane or turning, that sounds like a wheel bearing not a speed sensor.

Old 03-07-12, 04:47 PM
Sensors are built into the hub bearings........And if it ha s front sensors, it has rears.......same deal, in the hub bearing

Old 03-08-12, 11:41 AM
I had a no cost code check and there is no read from the front wheel passenger side. Made a $50 appointment to have it further diagnosed as to whether it is the sensor or the wiring.

Old 03-08-12, 12:23 PM
I apologise to wrench47...all four wheel hubs have speed sensors. I was incorrectly told otherwise.