2002 chevy impala

Old 03-10-12, 04:50 PM
2002 chevy impala

For the last year every time you brake the peddle would bounce like a warped roter. So today I decided to change the brakes. New roters, calipers, brake pads,brake lines all on the front. Well guess what ?????? no change. Now I'm thinking It's the back. Never had to change rear brakes that have the e brake in the center hub. How hard are they to do. Or am I looking in the wrong direction. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-12, 05:28 PM
yeah, you already did a lot in wrong direction. all was needed to be done was to turn all four rotors. Unless you have rear drums, which can be turned too.
Taking rotors off is about ten minute job per each. costs about 10-12 bucks each, depends where. call around.
also, does your steering wheel shake when you touch brakes? as it's 100% sign of ROTORS, not something else.
what else can it be? say, ABS acting up...

Old 03-10-12, 05:50 PM
These are good for outer tie rod ends........Jack front wheel and see if there's excesive play...........Also....Is the vibration felt in the wheel or the seat of your pants????

Old 03-10-12, 08:13 PM
Warped rotors would be my first guess, which you already fixed. If your rear brakes are drums, then I don't see how those would cause pulsating/vibration. Must be something else (e.g. ABS acting up).

Old 03-10-12, 08:18 PM
the first thing the car has about 198000 miles the last brake job was done at 132000 so I figured it was about time. The cost to turn rotors was 20 $ a piece so I spent 20 $ more and got new. I could have turned them my self, but to me my time at home is better them time at work.
The steering wheel never shook just the brake peddle. You mentioned the abs is there a way to ck it. After I did the brakes I drove around a little then hit the brakes hard and the anit locks went off like the should. I did this a few times So I know they work.

I just jacked up the car and ck for play there is a little but not alot. Thanks

Old 03-10-12, 11:41 PM
In my experience when rear brakes are a problem the vibration is not felt in the pedal as your is but only in the vehicle. It sounds still like front brake problems if you are feeling pedal pulsations or something similar. At first I was thinking about you having new but defective pads (I recently experienced some new Delphi ones that were a problem with both vibration and noise), but when you changed out the calipers did you bleed out the air correctly? Right rear, left rear, right front, left front is usually the order it is done I think. Though not normal for just replacing calipers there also could always be air in the ABS controller/modulator. When you installed your wheels you tightened the the lug nuts in the right order also and torqued them to the correct spec also right? Just trying to think about what it all could be from as you are.

Old 03-11-12, 07:45 AM
Is there a bleeder for the abs. May be i'll try that. Most people I know don't torque the lug nuts they just nut then up me included. Then ck them a week later.

Old 03-11-12, 08:58 AM
Some are just that easy to bleed. Not much more than normal bleeding with the exception perhaps of opening up an ABS bleeder valve. Other GM with a newer DBC-7 system requires a scan tool and a power operated pressure pump hooked up to the master cylinder. The scan tool would have a program for bleeding that would cycle the ABS solenoids for example while applying 35 PSI pressure to the system while you bleed each wheel caliper. The newer systems require that all the air is evacuated, and hence the added complexity and equipment.