Clutch Problems, 2002 Camaro SS

Old 03-13-12, 01:10 PM
Clutch Problems, 2002 Camaro SS

63,000 miles on this car, no racing, even have orignal brake pads!

Clutch fluid level is at the step in the reservoir, but it a nasty brown color. After 10 years it got low, I refilled the reservoir but I may need to bleed the line. Don't know how to do that.

I can pump up the clutch and it works fine for 3-4 engagements, then I lose pedal, and cannot disengage. Nasty problem, since the motor is a 5.7 V-8 and has tons of torque at idle.

The linkage is supposed to be self-adjusting, but . . . Maybe it sucked some air when the fluid got low, and the line needs bleeding? Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-12, 01:38 PM
Shouldn't be a linkage problem.......#1 stick your head under the instrument panel and see if there's a trail of fluid running down the firewall from the rear of the CLUTCH master.......Then check to see if hydraulic fluid is coming out of the bellhousing......I believe the slave cyl on that will be IN the bellhousing if so removal of the trans will be necessary.......At THAT point she gets it all disc, T/O bearing, pilot bearing, pressure plate, surface or replace flywheel........and let me add.......If it's an internal slave cyl and you resurface the flywheel, you normally have to add shims between the crank and flywheel so the distance the slave has to throw the T/O bearing remains the same

Old 03-13-12, 05:26 PM
Another possibility is that the master or slave cylinders are failing but not leaking. Just like with master brake cylinders these also can get to the point where they won't hold fluid pressure. I would consider starting with the clutch master first. Is there a bleed valve also on that?

Old 03-14-12, 05:08 AM
While I agree, a bypass in the master/cyl may be a problem without fluid loss, If the master's workin and it's putting pressure to the slave and the slave doesn't move........where'd the pressure/fluid go????.......These are sealed systems so if air is gettin in, it's a good bet fluid is gettin out

Old 03-14-12, 12:10 PM
Can't it by pass the cup and go back in the res.?

Old 03-14-12, 01:48 PM
At the master, yes........but if it's bad enough to not get a disengage I have a hard time seeing it work 3-4 times like he states........at the slave???......pressure gets to the slave and either the piston moves or it doesn't.......If it seals and the piston doesn't move, then the pedal won't depress...like a brake pedal......If it doesn't seal the pedal depresses......then the fluid is going somewhere

Old 03-14-12, 05:54 PM
It still sounds to me that the system will not hold pressure beyond a couple of pumps much like brake masters sometimes behave like when they start to blow fluid past the plunger cup. They can also work for a couple of foot pumps and then start to lose pressure and allow the pedal to meet the carpet as we know. If the fluid never was empty in the reservoir I also doubt there is air in the system, but after 10 years with the original fluid doing to the system what old fluid can do as the chemical makeup changes, changing out the master clutch cylinder could be a good way to start. It just doesn't sound like there is a mechanical issue involved either and to spend the effort and money to get at the slave if it is inside the bell housing and then doing the clutch with bearings as you would obviously do, before ruling out the master to me still makes no real sense especially considering the age and lack of prior maintenance on this hydraulic system. If it is in fact the slave, I would think that the master anyway wouldn't be far behind.

Old 03-15-12, 01:35 PM
Equinox-- I agree with your analysis. I'm getting some quotes on having a new master cylinder installed. If the slave is easy to get at, I will have it replaced, as well. This is a job way over my skill and equipment level.

I think the car may be too risky to drive to the shop, so I'll get it towed in. I'll have to look at my insurance policy, some of the cost might be covered. Thanks for the info and analysis.

Old 03-15-12, 08:44 PM
1. leaking master. check on firewall underneath the dash.
2. bleed slave. locate it, and it should have a regular brake type bleeder nipple. have helper pump clutch pedal and bleed it just like regular brakes.

if fluid went low, it's leaking master. i just had 2 in a row replaced.

Old 03-16-12, 04:50 PM
No leakage on the firewall, either side. The slave is located inside the bellhousing, so the cost of replacing the slave will triple, compared to just replacing the master. So, I'm going to have the master replaced next week. Chances are, that will cure the problem. If the slave goes out while I still own the car, then the bearings and disk will get replaced as well. That's the plan, anyway. Thanks for your message. . . You had two leaking masters in a row? That defies the odds, doesn't it?

Old 03-17-12, 07:44 AM
Hope you come back on and update us all next week SanDiegoBert. Sounds like you have a nice ride. I have driven the latest Camaro SS with the LS3 426 horsepower and still love the previous ones that lack the refinement, traction, and smoothness of the newest generation and let you really feel what is under the hood.

Old 03-17-12, 12:43 PM
Thanks, equinox. I have located a reliable shop to replace the clutch master cylinder. I'm going to have the SS flatbedded to the shop. Fortunately, I have some towing coverage on my insurance policy. If the new master cylinder provides me with a reliable hydraulic system, the trans will not be pulled to replace the slave cylinder. It's going in next Thursday.

I have also driven the latest iteration of the Camaro brand. "It ain't no F-body", in my opinion. It drives no better than any other overweight, undersprung, big-engined V-8 currently on the market. I like the way my 2002 drives way better, not tiring of it, despite having owned it for 10 years.

I have not yet given the Dodge Challenger a drive, though. I like its looks more than the Camaro, sad to say. The new Camaro's front end is styled nicely, but they went low budget on the back end. Granted, beauty is subjective, but I just don't like the aft end of the thing.

Old 04-04-12, 02:20 PM
Problem Resolved

Thank you Equinox, and the others who offered their opinion. It was indeed the clutch master cylinder failing. My mechanic installed an after-market cylinder, and everything works fine now. He said he had a heckuva time bleeding it, though. Apparently, merely pedal pumping while somebody works the bleed valve didn't get the air out. The system had to be vacuum bled. Anyhoo, I'm $350 lighter now, but happy.

This is the first repair ever on my 10 year old Camaro. It's a great car!

Old 04-04-12, 08:49 PM
It is always great to hear a happy ending even when there is some cost to it all. You do have a great ride, and don't forget to ensure that all your other fluid maintenance is up to date at this point. I am guessing you might still want to try and keep a hold of that car for the next 10 years too. I would be tempted to. There just are not that many fun cars that are affordable anymore.