Automatic door locks on 99 Plymouth Breeze

Old 03-15-12, 06:08 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Automatic door locks on 99 Plymouth Breeze

Of course the car is missing the owners manual and I need to know how to change the automatic door locks, assuming it can be changed.
Does anyone know where I can get this info or a copy of a page out of a manual?
Thanks guys.

Old 03-15-12, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
"Change" how? That's a little vague.

Old 03-16-12, 03:47 AM
O
Currently the locks lock automatically but do not unlock when the car is turned off. Cars that I have had with this feature were programmable so you could change when the doors locked and unlocked. I kinda figure this one would be the same way but I do not know for certain.

Old 03-16-12, 05:35 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The door locks should auto lock at 12 mph. But are not designed to unlock when turning key off . Door should unlock when you pull door handle from inside vechile

Old 03-17-12, 05:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
I have yet to own an auto-locking vehicle, but I suspect jktune is correct. Frankly, I think they're a PITA from the few experiences I've had driving one and more than once I've had a car auto-lock that I was towing.

Old 03-17-12, 06:18 AM
E
The_tow_guy has got it right. A few years ago I rented a Chevy Lumina and while driving down a lonely part of a highway I needed to stop and empty out my last coffee. It was a cold and windy day. Snow was blowing. I pulled over, coat sitting on the front seat, left the engine running with the 4-ways on and closed the door. 5 seconds later the doors auto locked on me. I couldn't even find a rock big enough to smash in the rear side window. I ended up flagging down an 18 wheeler after about 20 freezing minutes and he used his CB to call the boys driving their Crown Vic CVPI's. Even their slim jim wouldn't work. We ended up prying between the door seal and pushing on the power window switch. 2 hours later I was on my way. So much for auto lock door technology. When I gave back the car the counter clerk also received a verbal lesson from a pretty upset customer. That technology is as big of a PITA as the red button on a key fob that activates the panic security alarm when it get pushed in your pocket by accident and all your neighbors have to listen to you running outside calling your car all kinds of nice names.

Old 03-17-12, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Hmm... There are several features with door locks and you can set at your preference. Mine are set to lock automatically after driving. This is because I have small children and I feel more safe. They also unlock when put in park and you turn the key off.

1. One feature is when you get in a parking lot and are exiting the car, if you hold the lock button down there will be a beep ( 3 tones ). Even with all the doors open and kids getting out etc the tone will sound and set the auto door lock after leaving the vehicle. Once all the doors are shut and we are walking away the car will lock itself in 7 seconds and the horn and lights flash once.

2. You can program the locks to lock when moving out of park, when the vehicle reaches 5 mph, etc.. but there are like 4 modes.

3. To change modes, with the key on, hold the lock button down for 10 seconds and listen how many chimes. Mode one is 1 chime, mode two 2 chimes etc...

I am mode 1. I know mode 4 is no auto locking/unlocking at all.

Hope this helps.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: