Turn signals not working on 2004 Hyundai Elantra

Old 03-17-12, 07:27 PM
Turn signals not working on 2004 Hyundai Elantra

I am hoping someone can help me find a do it yourself fix for this as i am currently unemployed and short on cash. I have a 2004 Hyundai Elantra. Last week my turn signals wouldn't work. A minute later it worked. I changed the fuse just in case it was bad. Today they stopped working again and didn't start back up. When I hit the signals to come on nothing lights or blinks on either side. I read about try changing the turn signal relay.Could this be the problem, and if so would anyone know where this would be located... Thanks so much!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-12, 03:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That would be the next thing I would check. Normally the relay is located on or near the fuse panel under the dash or under the hood. You would have to consult the wiring diagram, or fuse diagram to determine its exact location. It will probably be the only relay there that is round. Not sure the specifics on the Hyundai.

Old 03-18-12, 02:31 PM
You should find it under the dash on the left dash side above the pedals and just to the left of them. It will be behind the fuse panel which is also there. If you can get it to work you will hear it right away as well to make it easier to locate. I think on your car it is probably a square shape and not round. When you do find it you can always try tapping it also to see if that will restart it to confirm you have the right relay. If you pick up one first then you will easily find the current one as well. You will likely need to pull back the fuse panel to access it.

Old 03-19-12, 07:38 AM
Thanks so much...Well, I figured out that if the signals don't work, and I turn the hazard lights on and shut them off, the turn signals will work again. Never thought of it before, but when they didn't work the first time I tried the hazard lights to see if they worked and they did. Right after that the signals worked again. So after It happened the second time and wrote this question, I thought about that. Went out to the car, turned on the hazards and shut them off, and then the signals worked. Weird...Do you think it still could be the flasher relay?? Thanks

Old 03-19-12, 04:33 PM
Yes that is possible. It is possible that both functions share the same relay and using the hazard switch gets it all working again. Not sure about your car but for sure some do share the same flasher. Did you get under the dash to find the relay ticking and exactly where it is when it did work? For the cost of a new relay I would go to that solution first. If not the relay which I still guess it is, things can get a little tougher to repair.

Old 03-19-12, 04:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
IMO, energizing 4 flashers is putting more resistance into the flasher and causing it to work. With only 2, it may be too weak to cause the contacts to operate properly. I'm with Equinox, change the flasher.

Old 09-09-12, 08:56 PM
Bearly...am I glad to find your question and answer to turn signals. I had the same problem, am on a tight budget myself...for no apparent reason, all turn signals didn't work at all...til I found your Q here...tried with Hazard, now my turn signals are working, aye! I hope you didn't have any more problems after that...or would I need to get relay box fixed in the near future? I surely hope not. My car is 2005 Elantra. Thanks again!

Old 04-20-13, 10:24 PM
Turn signal and hazard relay

Where exactly is the relay. I somehow must have knocked something loose when taking my dash apart to put in a new stereo and now the turn signals and hazard lights don't work. I don't see the relay.

Old 04-20-13, 11:14 PM
Group Moderator
Just as a generic reply to this this thread. There is a better chance that your hazard switch is dirty or corroded and when you activate the hazards that action cleans the switch. The hazard switch is a known issue.

Try operating the hazard switch a few times.

This vehicle may use two flashers....one for the directionals and one for the hazards. They should be in or behind the fuse box under the drivers dashboard area.

Name:  Flasher relay.jpg
Views: 18137
Size:  15.5 KB

Old 04-21-13, 01:03 AM
Come to think of it, when I had the dash pulled off, I had to unplug the hazard switch. Since then the hazards and the turn signals don't work. I'll recheck the connection going to the hazard switch. Thanks for your input.