The Car slides After stopping Traffic-sign, Need New Tires?

Old 03-25-12, 10:27 AM
The Car slides After stopping Traffic-sign, Need New Tires?

Hi:
The Car is Toyota Corolla '99 with low mileages/a bit more than 100,000 mileages

My concern however,
Whenever I stop for the traffic-light from red to green for a couple of second or so and tried to accelerate the car, it slids awkwardly, not significant, but it's very annoying and make me concern a great deal. It happens mostly on rainy days and never happens when the weather is nice and no moisture in the air.

Just wondering whether the car needs a brand new tires?

If does, all four tires, or just two tires in the front?
Because, the treads of all tires are neither bold nor in terrible shape.

Your help on this would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-12, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
That is a problem...and since it happens when it's wet...I'd be concerned the tires are worn, though you think they aren't. Either that or you have a heavy foot on the gas. When it rains, you need to accelerate slower and slow down more for turns. Especially if it's a light rain...all that does is lift the oils and debris from the roadway without washing it away. A heavy rain actually washes some of that off.

You can google "how to tell if tires are worn" easier than me explaining it. Some brands/types of tires lose a lot of wet traction even if they aren't worn out completely.

According to everything I've read/heard...if you absolutely can only replace 2 tires...they should go on the back...even in front wheel drive cars.

That won't help with the slipping that you are having though.

Old 03-25-12, 10:59 AM
What make/model of tires are on the car? (For example Goodyear Integrity)
Are they the original tires? How many miles are on the tires?
How old are the tires?

Old 03-25-12, 11:38 AM
guys, it's a COROLLA. ain't no Bugatti Veyron. heavy foot or not, she does not have juice enough to rip them tires.
"awkward" slide is due to the so called torque steer, as half shafts are of uneven length and longer twists some more, resulting in one side spinning slightly faster, resulting in pull towards shorter half shaft side.
When it just rained, and esp at stop signs or street lights, a slippery film forms. It's a mix of wet pavement and oil dripping down from leaking cars. normally, goes away in about half an hr or so of rain.
Also, buddy, check your tires pressure. If they are overinflated, you have much less grip on the road.
otherwise, it's a no brainer to look at them tires and see if they are warn out or not. Keep in mind, racing tires have no treads on them. reason being, "bold" tire has better grip than treaded one.

Old 03-25-12, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Well.....in slick weather, as described, almost anything can spin the tires if it's from a dead stop. I've done it in a Geo Metro...prob the least powerful thing I've ever driven.

Torque steer is very probably the cause...esp since I'm sure there is no traction control or torque vectoring of any sort on this car.

All depends on the tires and driving style IMO.

Old 03-26-12, 04:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When it just rained, and esp at stop signs or street lights, a slippery film forms. It's a mix of wet pavement and oil dripping down from leaking cars. normally, goes away in about half an hr or so of rain.
That's the most likely reason. There is a hilly intersection in town that's difficult to stop at when it first starts raining. I've slid into the intersection more than once trying to stop for the red light in the rain. I've had this happen with brand new tires so I'm convinced it's an oily film that rises to the surface when it starts raining.

FWIW - while I haven't done it in years, I've replaced just the front tires on my wife's car and never had any issues.

Old 03-26-12, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Is it dangerous to put 2 new tires on the front wheels only?

Very complete explanation of why 2 new tires should go on the rear. This may involve moving the old rears to the front if they have more tread than the old front ones, which is often the case.

Old 03-26-12, 09:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've read that before but I don't necessarily agree with it. As far as hydroplaning goes, every time I've ever drove a vehicle that hydroplaned, letting off the gas always brought the control back.

Old 03-26-12, 07:33 PM
It could be a combination of a slick road surface as was mentioned already, and while not yet worn out,having tires installed that were not necessarily the best in wet traction even when purchased new. One other point not mentioned was how old the tires are. Tires do have a 'shelf life' and if they are 5 years on the car or more, they probably need to be replaced regardless of tread depth. Rubber compounds degrade over time and that can both cause a safety hazard around potential tread or sidewall failures, and in addition the tread itself will harden also significantly reducing the level that it will 'stick' to the road surface both when dry and wet. Compared to many larger tires, yours are relatively inexpensive to replace with a quality set, so that should be a consideration especially if they have been on for a while as I mentioned could be the case.

Old 03-31-12, 04:49 AM
Group Moderator
I mostly get a tire spin when I'm the first one in line and the front tires hit the big wide "stop" line at the intersection, which can be pretty slick when wet.